The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for a giggle of course.

The French have surrendered, the US have come in late and the English are battling the Germans.

Seiko meets the Blarney Stone, photo not so good due to my air card connection here in the UK.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
That is funny...

Did you kiss the blarney stone? I did this back in 1994, it was a really great day out and you are in a very very beautiful part of the world. Emjoy the vacation!!.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure did kiss the Blarney Stone. Although I think I had the gift of elequence long before last Week.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
LOL!!

Too funny. I just sent this off to my boss from Sheffield UK.

Yesterday he realized that UK would face Germany I mentioned Churchill's the famous lines from the Dunkirk speech and he commented that there would be a lot of that nostalgia going on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just got up at 2:30am to watch the Japan/Denmark match......GO, Seiko, Go haha!
My mother visited Ireland and kissed the Blarney Stone ...way back in the 80s! Great photo!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
nhoJ said:
LOL!!

Too funny. I just sent this off to my boss from Sheffield UK.

Yesterday he realized that UK would face Germany I mentioned Churchill's the famous lines from the Dunkirk speech and he commented that there would be a lot of that nostalgia going on.
I received this response from him:

..and no doubt Hollywood will ensure that the USA takes all the glory irrespective of the reality!!!
Pffft!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
yorkiesknob said:
Just for a giggle of course.

The French have surrendered, the US have come in late and the English are battling the Germans.
Now that, ladies a germs, is comedy!!!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
minidriver said:
European football is in shambles :D :D

The world cup will stay right here in the Americas :p :p

We'll see.....

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Technoman said:
We'll see.....
Ok, maybe south america, but it's still staying on this side of the atlantic. ;D

BTW, I was talking to a friend yesterday and we were wondering how come most of the good teams come from europe, Africa or the Americas. Asia, the most populous and largest continent by far seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for the world cup, but doesn't seem to field very many decent teams. I wonder why that is.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Here in the local Miami radio there was commentary to that effect. It is believed some of the best players/teams come out of South America simply because the local clubs struggle more for financial support (In comparison to those in Europe or elsewhere) and also professional soccer is viewed as the one way out ticket from the midst of poverty. So players tend to give 500% of themselves out in the field.

Now, can anyone enlighten me as how a team as lousy as North Korea made it to the World Cup? Why don't we have the likes of the Colombia national soccer team there instead?

Let me not get started on the French team fiasco. I totally symphatize with our North Ireland friends that were unfairly kept out of this world cup.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
minidriver said:
Now, can anyone enlighten me as how a team as lousy as North Korea made it to the World Cup? Why don't we have the likes of the Colombia national soccer team there instead?
My guess is that it most likely has to do with who they play in the qualifiers, which are teams in their region. It's the same reasons why teams in central america rarely make it. Mexico and the US are the 1,000 pound gorillas of north America and when they play a central american or caribbean team the tend to win more often than not and be the consistent qualifiers from the region. every now and then some other regional country squeeks by, but they rarely advance far.

My question was why there aren't better Asian teams period. you would think that based on sheer numbers of people countries like china, india, Malysia, indonesia, pakistan and the Phillipines would be able to find a handful of very good players out of their very large populations. at the very least, I would have expected countries like china, in which sport at international levels tends to be state supported and heavily funded, would have been working hard to field a top notch team.

As for football being a way out of poverty, I suspect you are right, but I can't imagine that the same wouldn't apply in much of Asia (except for viable leagues were one could make a living playing).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Isthmus said:
My question was why there aren't better Asian teams period. you would think that based on sheer numbers of people countries like china, india, Malysia, indonesia, pakistan and the Phillipines would be able to find a handful of very good players out of their very large populations. at the very least, I would have expected countries like china, in which sport at international levels tends to be state supported and heavily funded, would have been working hard to field a top notch team.
I assume football hasn't been an *Asian* sport for most of the time. While it has been omnipresent in large parts of Europe (and elsewhere) since the 1890s, I assume it's much younger in Asia (with blanket coverage).
In Europe, there's a network of structures that goes down to the six year old, that separates the the average from the gifted and screens and trains them until they are 16, 18 years old. Brasil for example even runs a super huge industry on football, they export literally thousands of players into every part of the world!

Then I believe that there are fairly strong football leagues in those countries which make it to the top 4 or 8 teams in a world cup. I think it makes a difference if a country has superior players, but no strong league. Take Bosnia or Kroatia for example. Or Ivory Coast. A lot of the guys are the cream of the crop and stars in the clubs and leagues they play in! But 11 geniuses do not make a world champion. And then look to Asia. When I travelled Indonesia it seemed that Christiano Ronaldo, Inter Milan and Barca werein the sports newspapers every day. Everybody seemed to have an English, Italian, Spanish or German favourite club. I never learned a name of an Indonesian player or club! That's because European clubs fight for the Asian markets. Doesn't make it easy for the local clubs to form a decent football league I assume...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts