The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a 7002-7009 for $100 on eBay. It is in very nice original condition with original dial and hands. The 7002 is not a rare watch, but even they are getting hard to find in original condition.

At the same time, bidding ended for another 7002 on eBay. This one had a fake Scubapro 450 dial. It attracted 50 bids and sold for £360...! That is about $540...!

Is it me? Am I going mad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...zwpJ3sK8bXN4JiTJT7ZPQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Simple, very professional listing by the seller of the 'Scubapro' watch that attracted a lot more non WIS bidders, hence the high final price. Most of my real bargains seem to come from poorly listed watches, seller's loss, my gain. ;)

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Simple, very professional listing by the seller of the 'Scubapro' watch that attracted a lot more non WIS bidders, hence the high final price. Most of my real bargains seem to come from poorly listed watches, seller's loss, my gain. ;)
Yes, I agree. But it's a sad day when original Seiko divers, collectible in their own right, have to be 'refurbished' and 'modded' with poorly made fake parts to make a buck in the mainstream. - And it's not just 7002's of course. Most 6309's and 6105's offered on eBay have had the same treatment.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I looked at the listing and the multi-coloured text did my nut in, it must have some subliminal effect:biggrin:

The watch is a 6309 BTW albeit still a Scubapro450 homage

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the listing and the multi-coloured text did my nut in, it must have some subliminal effect:biggrin:

The watch is a 6309 BTW albeit still a Scubapro450 homage
The case back is 7002, I have seen a few of these, so I suppose they have added a day wheel?

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
Beg your pardon it is a 7002 case, wonder what's under the hood?
What makes that a 7002 case? It looks like a 6309-7290 to me.

Can a day wheel be added to a 7002?

Not trying to be critical, I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Beg your pardon it is a 7002 case, wonder what's under the hood?
I suspect it will have a 7009 and the day finger has been tweaked to make the day align to the window.
Ive seen a couple of day/date 7002's from Mountapo, i messaged him and asked how he did it. The answer was short and sweet "7009".

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
What makes that a 7002 case? It looks like a 6309-7290 to me.

Can a day wheel be added to a 7002?

Not trying to be critical, I'd like to know.
Look at where the crown fits to the case, a 6309 has a distinct recess and the 7002 dosnt.
No you cant fit a day wheel to a 7002, but you can use another 70xx day date movement. The problem is getting the day date wheels to align with the dial, as the crown positions on very nearly all,(if not all) other 70xx movements are at 3.18 and the 7002 is at 4 o,clock.

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
Look at where the crown fits to the case, a 6309 has a distinct recess and the 7002 dosnt.
No you cant fit a day wheel to a 7002, but you can use another 70xx day date movement. The problem is getting the day date wheels to align with the dial, as the crown positions on very nearly all,(if not all) other 70xx movements are at 3.18 and the 7002 is at 4 o,clock.
Well, hell,you're right of course. I just looked at one of each here. I never noticed that before. On both counts. Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It was probably a shill. Still, a lot of novices (like myself in the early days) end up paying a lot for over-polished, doctored up frankens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts