The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

Now that most members have made it over and most of you have had a bit of time to explore, I would love to start asking for your help getting the site back to fighting shape. As many of you already know, the old Network54 and it's mirror go back a really long way. They are also filled with truly great content. There is great historical stuff there, reviews, and technical information. We would like to rediscover many of those wonderful old posts and save them to our new archive, where they can be cataloged in a way that they can be easily accessed by collectors everywhere for years to come.

As you can imagine, this job is more than any one person can do, so I'm calling on all our members to please help the new SCWF rise to the standard of quality it was once widely known for.

Going forward, please go through the old site and it's mirror from time to time and recover some of the great old posts you remember or come across. If you post links to what you find on this thread, the staff will find the posts and rehost them here. you can do that or rehost them yourself.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just to clarify it:
is it also o.k. to link to some interesting writing on the mirror?
Or should I just copy it? Problem is, I don't remember the old SCWFs legal stuff, but I hope there a passage saying, that with every post you hand the copyright to the forum - can you clarify that Gabe?
Another thing is where to exactly post the technical stuff.
E.g. I remember a good writing of the "between the lugs" regulating system of a 5625/6 (and another movement). I would also have some pics and additional writing to add. But where should I put it. It's not what I would call a review. I would call it a technical article.

Hope you don't get me negative, I just love clear, not misunderstanable rules - I'm still German in the end, sorry.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically as with here the copyright remains the ownership of the author but SCWF retains a use license for the purposes of the forum. We are simply moving individual content from SCWF to SCWF. if any author objects, we will be happy to just link the content where it is already in our archive, or anywhere else. We would prefer to simply rehost the articles from our archives, as it makes cataloging, reading and replying to them much easier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Isthmus said:
Really, just three folks? No one else is interested? :'(
on the contrary, it will be my pleasure!
I wont be able to match the output of you and the other mods, but I hope it helps.

I havent posted too much myself on SCWF, but I will go through the links on my own site and post them here (There should be a link somewhere about a seiko WIS that collected all 6 watches of a '69 Seiko ad ;D )

And I will make available the "Seiko watch technical guide" in hires/color!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GarageBoy said:
Wait, so what actually has to be redone/where do I post the archive?
NOthing special. Just look through the old forum and find threads that you found particularly interesting and which would be of benefit to other members in some way. post a link to the thread here and we an then port it to the appropriate section here.

Stony said:
on the contrary, it will be my pleasure!
I wont be able to match the output of you and the other mods, but I hope it helps.

I havent posted too much myself on SCWF, but I will go through the links on my own site and post them here (There should be a link somewhere about a seiko WIS that collected all 6 watches of a '69 Seiko ad ;D )

And I will make available the "Seiko watch technical guide" in hires/color!
Thanks stony. Much appreciated. Can't wait to seethe guide!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi Gabe,

don't know where this should go:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1033939293/So%2C+you+got+a+hole+in+between+your+lugs!+Your+a+happy+Camper++%28scans+and+essay%29

Once it is posted, I can also add pictures of a 5625 with that faeture and explain why there the regulation direction might change.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about we do this. Lets repost them in this section so that everyone can enjoy reading and replying to this wonderful informative posts once again. we can then save copies of them in our reference archive. How does that sound?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not sure, if I can catch your drift Gabe.

Do you mean it like that (and would than add my pics and comments)?:
[center][font=verdana]So, you got a hole in between your lugs! Your a happy Camper (scans and essay)[size=1em] October 6 2002 at 2:21 PM
[/font][font=verdana][size=0.7em] 2manywatches
[/font][/center]
[center][font=verdana][size=0.7em] [/font][font=verdana][size=1em]We all were discussing the vintage King Seiko`s the other day, and the question came up, "Whats that screw there in between the lugs for".

Well Ladies and ger........ fellow SeikoHolics, I`ve been working on a few of these, and I wanted to share with you what it is, and what can be done with the hole.

The screw you see actually comes out, and directly behind it is a regulating screw attached to the regulating curb pins.

[img]

In this case above, the screw had broken off, and was stuck in the case. Because I find this feature one of the real jewels of these King Seikos, I endevored to make it right. It intailed drilling out the broken screw, retaping the hole, and installing a oversize screw that would do the job.

[img]http://www.fototime.com/%7BF19F9FFC-90C1-46DC-A995-9B108791B48D%7D/picture.JPG

I would like to note that all of the damage you see surrounding the hole was pre-repair, and that this case was in fairly ruff shape to begin with.

OK, heres how it works, but first: this is one of two systems I`ve seen. This is the later style, the earlier style has quite a bit more craft, in that the worm screw actually goes into the balance Dingling, where it turns a seperate ball in grove lever.

This later style, as shown here belowe, is at 7 o`clock on the movement, and can be identified by the large stamped peice of metal bridging the regulater to the adjusting screw.

The all works due to two design priciples. First, the ball in groove lever construction. Writers note: I`m calling it a ball in grove, as I`m not sure what the real term would be, if anyone knows, I`d be happy to know if theres a more appropriate term for the design.
And second, a fixed pivot, combined with an elongated hole, alowing the back and forth movement of the regulating bridge.

[img]

The ball and groove sockets are outlined above.

[img]

And the pivoting mechanism is shown above. The bridge pivots on the right hand screw, which has a shoulder so that it does`nt secure the bridge, it simply locates it. And the sloted hole on the left has the same thing, with the screw head having a shoulder, allowing the bridge to move in and out.

So in the scan belowe, Ive simply connected the motion of the parts with arrows, so the you can see how the system works, the cause and effect if it were.

[img]

So if your turning the screw in, or clockwise, it`ll slow down the regulation, and the opposite is true, if turning the screw out, or counter-clockwise, the movements regulation is advanced.

Unfortunatly, this system is not without it`s disadvantages. The biggest problem is that there is a fair amount of slack in the adjusting screw, and its not as responsive as it would seem. You can be turning the screw, turning, and not see any effect, and then all of a sudden, you`ve overshot your desired mark, and the whole process starts over again, as you try to go the other direction. To be honest, when I was regulating this watch, I madly wished for a screw back, and a simple regulator lever.

I did manage to regulate the watch, and in the last 24 hrs, its lost 1 second.

I`ve only seen these setups on the King Seikos with either a 5246, or a 5626 movement. Ive seen it mostly on the chronometer marked watches, but it has also appeared on some non-chronometer marked watches. Exactly what watches came with these, I`m not certain, but rest assured, if theres a screw at the bottom lugs, its got this set up in it.

Now, the real tragedy to this story is that I dont have one of these watches in my collection yet, and this artical is bound to raise awearness of this unique feature, and well, you know what`ll happen,:^)

So for those that have one of these, enjoy it. And for those that dont, well, half the fun is the hunt.

Love your Seiko`s gentelmen.
And best regards,
Randall[/font][/center]
[center][font=verdana][/font][/center]

Cheers,
Axel

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Isthmus said:
Hi everyone:

Now that most members have made it over and most of you have had a bit of time to explore, I would love to start asking for your help getting the site back to fighting shape. As many of you already know, the old Network54 and it's mirror go back a really long way. They are also filled with truly great content. There is great historical stuff there, reviews, and technical information. We would like to rediscover many of those wonderful old posts and save them to our new archive, where they can be cataloged in a way that they can be easily accessed by collectors everywhere for years to come.

As you can imagine, this job is more than any one person can do, so I'm calling on all our members to please help the new SCWF rise to the standard of quality it was once widely known for.

Going forward, please go through the old site and it's mirror from time to time and recover some of the great old posts you remember or come across. If you post links to what you find on this thread, the staff will find the posts and rehost them here. you can do that or rehost them yourself.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all the help!
Hi Gabe,

Since I enjoy rereading my favourite books; I thought it might be time to dredge up some watch stories from the archives...
#14...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1162856936
#7...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1166046776
no#...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1195925594
#3...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1149450520
#15...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1148794640
#11...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1148270097
#6...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1147625289
#27...http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1146960916

I couldn't locate #9 in the archives :'(

·
Registered
76 Posts