The Watch Site banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres a mod that I truely enjoyed working on, and one that turned out exactly as I had imagined.

Popped out the crystal and blank chapter ring. Replaced it with a turtle chapter ring. It just ain't a good looking watch without a chapter ring!

Compare the rings...

Made a difference (IMHO). But ultimately decided to go with a different dial than that stunning green dial.

Operation day+date. Its just not a good looking watch without the Day wheel.

Just cannot live with myself paying the same $$ for a non day version (yeah, I 'm cheap that way). Can't stand the feeling that there's a day wheel under the dial!

And the final product!

The lume is crazy radioactive and lasts long. The black dial is a nice enamel finished sunburst, not apparent in this photo, but a pleasure to look at. And the SKX hands just look good (to me anyway).

That is the reissue Seiko should have made!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks every bit as good as the reissue. Good job and wear it well
thanks!
There are a lot of things need readjusting in this mod. But on this watch, everything came together in one go!

the day wheel went on perfectly without alignment issues,
dial sat bang in the center and chapter ring alignment on the dial's minute markers is right on the money!

even after casing the movement, I spent hours with a loupe looking for dust specs under the glass and on the dial. None to be found!

I was quite pleasantly surprised at my luck on this one. It is by far the best time I've spent (or gained, depending on your bent of mind)!

·
Registered
495 Posts
15 or 20 years ago I had a sad 6105 with a bad crown tube, trashed movement, and buggered up date window. Almost like someone had used a little screwdriver to move a stuck date and messed up the window, the crystal looked like it had been used as a sanding block. The dial, hands, bezel, etc. seemed OK. A 6349 fugly dress watch sacrificed a movement, and a day/date frame. Randall did the triple lock crown install, some further was done by Jack/IWW.

The screw down crown, day/date 6105 was born.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts