The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
30,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this 6217-7000 up in May as i do have a "thing" for them, well whats not to like ? great case backs, great movement, good looking dial with the smart little GMT hand (love that hand :) ).

In the auction picture it looked like it had the original bracelet which would of been a major bonus but no it was a cheapy replacement :( so just wearing it on a spare for now.

When it came the crown/stem/gear/spring was missing and it needed a new crystal, the crown I have fitted is not the normal/correct one we see on these but I did have one of my 6217s come with this crown and at the time it was thought to be incorrect for this model but imo it may have been fitted to some 6217s and i have seen it on others so its staying for now even though I prefer the other crown(60W01N).

So a tidy up, movement spotless and the case very clean so i dont think worn alot, new crystal (Stefan thanks) and I assembled the crown and it was then that I found that the case tube had been damaged/creased and the gear wouldent fit through, dam, so i put it away for a while in the projects draw.

Today I decided to turn a plug to open the tube up to the size I needed, so i made a few different sizes up and pressed them through the tube and finished off the bore with a rat tale file and it now fits, so fitted and now working fine, dropped it on the Timegrapher and it shows almost perfect, the 6217 does seem a good movement :)

The dial has a tiny mark at the 8 position but we can't have it all even if we want it all :)

City ring super clean so all in all very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sweet watches John. I saw one last week on fleabuy for £150 in the states. A early 6217 model with the Olympic back. Still regretting not buying it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My world time's a 6117-6400 so I don't have the nice case back or as nice case shape but still love the face side, although with out the blue.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am also a fan, although mine still remains in disrepair. :D It turns out it also had a wonky pallet fork and the movement itself seems rather worn. I may have to find a 6205B (I believe that's the one) just for the parts. I'd have been better off buying a complete one!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Great job you did there,nice watch,and killer caseback! :13:

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
well that is a gorgeous watch looks pretty special to me...i would love to find one too

·
Registered
6,309 Posts

·
Administrator
30,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided I liked the "correct" crown better so new crown and a BOR and thats it :)

ps: Marley our tortoise treats that solar lamp like a girl friend, loves it to bits :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
So much better with the curved end links and the BOR - the bracelet in the first pic did not do it justice and almost detracted.

Fantastic peice, enjoy !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts