The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know nothing about this watch besides my dad did wear it in vietnam. He was captured left with a bullet in his neck and the watch still on. He threw out all his vietnam stuff and gave me the watch maybe in the mid 90s . It has never been serviced still keeps perfect time, but the time is hard to set with the crown makes the skin on my finger get blisters. I have no clue how the alarm works but thought i would share it . I have no clue what the original band looked like.

At the mall this weekend Beverly hills jewelers were really interested in it but wanted to give me just 20.00

what did this watch originally sell for and are they still considered nice watches

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
With respect, don't sell it. That watch has a great story attached to it. Best you could hope to get is around $100 and IMHO not the sort of money that would make it worthwhile giving up a piece of your family history.

Some of the guys here can give you some ideas about who to go to to service it in the US.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's a nice Bellmatic you have there. As Tritto says a don't sell!

Google the part number 4006-6037 for your further information, that will be your best bet to start with, but others here will chip in with US service recommendations I should expect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys
Its been my daily wearer since i was about 14 in 1996 . Ive worn it caves. deep sea fishing everything. and still keeps perfect time. Only watch i have ever owned
My dad escaped being a prisoner with a bullet in his neck and this watch

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
very neat history for a watch to have. I flog clocks for a living and to actually be able to tie one down to a specific history is 'rare'. Most of these watches we own on this forum are secondhand and of unknown history and origins to us or New Old Stock which has basically lead no life what so ever other than being kept in a safe of a draw all it's boring life. You watch has a history pedigree :) I would consider having your fathers details engraved on the back so they do not get lost in time like nearly every other watch on the planet. Only other Seiko I know with full known history is the one that went with Colonel Pogue into space. Very cool don't sell it or you'll regret it later in life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they make a lot of these ? theres not much history about them. I have always loved the design of it. Sometimes i wished the face wasnt brown

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Did they make a lot of these ? theres not much history about them. I have always loved the design of it. Sometimes i wished the face wasnt brown
Not a Bellmatic guy so can't answer the production numbers data for you. They did make a fair few Bellmatics that's for sure but I don't know about your model or colour (color) combo's. Brown is the new black ;) Very retro :D

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
well i would keep it no matter the condition...it can be repaired for sure and if the dial is not to your liking..you can always find a parts watch and change it around...it has a great history and deserves the repairs...great looking watch...many here would love to have such a watch in their collection...what they offered you is just a low ball number...great to have you with us on the forum...if you need any help..please let us know..that is what we are here for...John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i would keep it no matter the condition...it can be repaired for sure and if the dial is not to your liking..you can always find a parts watch and change it around...it has a great history and deserves the repairs...great looking watch...many here would love to have such a watch in their collection...what they offered you is just a low ball number...great to have you with us on the forum...if you need any help..please let us know..that is what we are here for...John
Thank You

1 - 11 of 11 Posts