The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
30,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing a bit of tidying up and I realized i have TWO chronometers now, both ladies and both require work, the one on the right is running, the other requires work but they are pretty "cute", what would you say early 60s ? late 50s ? both have drilled lugs as well :)

I like the Seiko text on the older models.

In there day i would imagine these must have been pretty high quality ?

Anyone save these ?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I am guessing 50's for the one on the right, judging from the dial and hand design, and 60's for the one on the right. :cool:

But then I know nothing about Seiko vintage watches, so my opinion is worthless! :p

- Thomas

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Very interesting pieces John, could we see the movements please??

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The date estimates were close but a little late.

The model on the left looks like it is from 1948-1950 and should house a Type 10B movement. These came in 7, 10, and 15 jewel versions.

The one on the right SS1136 is a Super from likely 1952-3. The case might be stainless but is more likely rhodium plated.

The Super models were produced between 1950 and 1954. It is probably a 10 jewel version but they were also produced in 7 and 15 jewel versions and a 17 jewel version in 1954. It is also likely that the bridge has 3 Adjusted on it but later models this was removed.

The small Seiko print on dial indicates it is in the middle of production period. Initially the Super models had a peaked Seiko design logo and later a S logo with Seiko text under it.

The Super models were replaced by the Unique in 1955.

I am not convinced that these were ladies models but were quite possibly mens. The general size in the late 40's was quite small and it was only in the mid 50's that Seiko sizes grew much larger. I would assume that both these have size small cases of around 26.5mm. Users were beginning to demand larger cases and they eventually grew to about 33mm but this began mainly when the Unique models were introduced.

If you can give us some movement shots I might be able to provide a little more info.

·
Administrator
30,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The date estimates were close but a little late.

The model on the left looks like it is from 1948-1950 and should house a Type 10B movement. These came in 7, 10, and 15 jewel versions.

The one on the right SS1136 is a Super from likely 1952-3. The case might be stainless but is more likely rhodium plated.

The Super models were produced between 1950 and 1954. It is probably a 10 jewel version but they were also produced in 7 and 15 jewel versions and a 17 jewel version in 1954. It is also likely that the bridge has 3 Adjusted on it but later models this was removed.

The small Seiko print on dial indicates it is in the middle of production period. Initially the Super models had a peaked Seiko design logo and later a S logo with Seiko text under it.

The Super models were replaced by the Unique in 1955.

I am not convinced that these were ladies models but were quite possibly mens. The general size in the late 40's was quite small and it was only in the mid 50's that Seiko sizes grew much larger. I would assume that both these have size small cases of around 26.5mm. Users were beginning to demand larger cases and they eventually grew to about 33mm but this began mainly when the Unique models were introduced.

If you can give us some movement shots I might be able to provide a little more info.

Thanks Anthony

When i get a chance i will take some movement pictures but i do remember seeing 3 position stamped on the right movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts