The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Seiko Dive Watches, Rolex Submariner
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a couple of my SKX007's out for a completely different reason, when I noticed that the last time I had them out I had switched the case backs. I knew this because one is an SKX007J and one is an SKX007K. So I popped open the backs and didn't realize how (until now) how different the 7S26A movement in the Japan watch was from the Malaysia watch. I always thought that the movements were the same and only the dials and location of assembly were different. The picture says, "not so fast"... The Japan watch movement is much nicer than the Malaysia movement. I was always lead to believe that the differences were insignificant...that (at least in this case) does not appear to be accurate... I welcome your thoughts (and/or enlightenment on where I may have gone astray).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cosmetically the Japan movement looks better but other than that they are the same specifications?
Supposedly they are the exact same part numbers (at least I couldn't find any technical docs that show a different part number for Japan vs Malaysia), but clearly they are different. The counter weight has JAPAN stamped on it and looks completely different and the one bridge has SEIKO engraved/stamped on it and the finish on all the bridges, etc. looks better/higher quality...yet I can't find different part numbers...it is a mystery to me. They both function well. I think I'll put them on the time grapher next and see if there's a measurable performance difference.

·
Craftsman
1,741 Posts
What are the first two digits on the case back serial numbers on both watches? Wonder if one was an early production A movement and the other a later production number A movement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the first two digits on the case back serial numbers on both watches? Wonder if one was an early production A movement and the other a later production number A movement.
97 for the Malaysian and 67 for the Japan version. I bet that it is a July 1999 versus a July 2006. Nice call. I think you've cracked the code. Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I had a couple of my SKX007's out for a completely different reason, when I noticed that the last time I had them out I had switched the case backs. I knew this because one is an SKX007J and one is an SKX007K. So I popped open the backs and didn't realize how (until now) how different the 7S26A movement in the Japan watch was from the Malaysia watch. I always thought that the movements were the same and only the dials and location of assembly were different. The picture says, "not so fast"... The Japan watch movement is much nicer than the Malaysia movement. I was always lead to believe that the differences were insignificant...that (at least in this case) does not appear to be accurate... I welcome your thoughts (and/or enlightenment on where I may have gone astray).
View attachment 465230
Movement on the right looks the same as the one in my K, it runs a bit fast but I love that watch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts