The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Very cool item, is it vintage or simply designed to look "classically older" ? I would think it would be a cool addition to anyone's collection providing it wasn't too expensive as a peripheral piece.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
WOW, it just gets cooler and cooler every time I look at it. So it's calibrated to 1/8" on the map and the two sub-dials count off hundreds of feet and thousands of feet as you roll it from one point to another on a paper map in front of you. The large center hand measures the portion of the first hundred and successive portions after. I have seen the handheld/walk along devices with an 8" or 10" wheel that surveyors use to measure any substantial distance really. They used one in the TV show "Breaking Bad" when they were measuring the length to the exact tanker car on the tracks that had the Methlamine in it they wanted to steal. This is the same type of device on a much smaller scale of measurement ! I think "Hey Google" may have stolen its usefulness but is nowhere near as cool !

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
WOW, it just gets cooler and cooler every time I look at it. So it's calibrated to 1/8" on the map and the two sub-dials count off hundreds of feet and thousands of feet as you roll it from one point to another on a paper map in front of you. The large center hand measures the portion of the first hundred and successive portions after. I have seen the handheld/walk along devices with an 8" or 10" wheel that surveyors use to measure any substantial distance really. They used one in the TV show "Breaking Bad" when they were measuring the length to the exact tanker car on the tracks that had the Methlamine in it they wanted to steal. This is the same type of device on a much smaller scale of measurement ! I think "Hey Google" may have stolen its usefulness but is nowhere near as cool !
That ‘bout sums it up. Super cool !

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
For a handheld device and me leaning toward the old school approach, this pocket map measurer has my vote over a Garmin. I must admit, I am curious if the two had a measurement face off ! I may have a crush on this device, haha !

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Wow, that makes me remember that I either had or maybe still have one of these somewhere... nowhere near as cool as yours though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
+1 well done.

And let's not forget when the Zombie Apocalypse comes and we are trying to map our way to safety, these mechanical device are impervious from EMP - they will always work.

A very cool device from years past.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts