The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
"The Prospector"
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Time Factors Smith 'Everest' arrived yesterday. As it isn't a Seiko, Mod please feel free to move it to the correct forum, thank you.

First impressions, it is quite a hefy watch for it's 36mm size, the lugs are drilled, making it easy to change the bracelet to a NATO or some other strap, should this option be prefered. The lug width is 20mm.

The wrist bracelet adjustments can be completed by means of the the screw in pins, which even I did in seconds, unlike the collar and pin arrangement currently favoured by Seiko, which I tend to find a bit of a mission to do, then again maybe it is just me :)

The bracelet is of solid link construction, with solid end links, which accounts for the weight in some respects.

The case houses a Miyota 9015 movement, a Citizen derived movement, running at 28,800 BPH. the crown is of the screw down variety. The stated power reserve is 41 hours, also it sports a domed sapphire crystal with an AR coating, the lume is by way of SuperLuminova C3, and from going outside on a sunny day today, into the local Natural History museum with very low lighting the lume is excellent.

My only gripe, if you can call it that, is the kin great clasp with adjustment to go over a diving suit, this when the watch only has a water resistance of 100
Meters.

I wore this watch for the first time today and I am very impressed overall with the feel and quality of this watch at this price point.

I've been on here a while and this is my first sort of review, so please bear with me guys. Thks.
A few of my pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I have been eyeing this for a while. Quick question, does this has a no-date Miyota or is there a phantom crown position?

·
"The Prospector"
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are welcome, and in answer to your question, Yes it does have a phantom crown position, as when you unscrew the crown and pull the stem to the 'first click' nothing happens, when you then continue to the 'second click' the movement hacks and the hands can be adjusted. I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Vyn.
Thank you for posting this. I have been eyeing this for a while. Quick question, does this has a no-date Miyota or is there a phantom crown position?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cool looking watch. That bracelet looks like it was made for a bigger version though. It would look more balanced with a tapered one.

Enjoy it.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Mr Diesel,Top of the Pops Sir👍
Great Review and yes I like it.
I do agree the Bracelet looks a Bit too Chunky for the Watch Size but I’m Sure your sorting that.
I’ve never been into NATO’s Vyn as I prefer Zulus with Black Metal Hardware.
👍⌚👏👏👏👏

·
"The Prospector"
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much kind sir ! Could be a Zulu diver or one of U.S's fine bracelets, maybe a BOR?
Mr Diesel,Top of the Pops Sir👍
Great Review and yes I like it.
I do agree the Bracelet looks a Bit too Chunky for the Watch Size but I’m Sure your sorting that.
I’ve never been into NATO’s Vyn as I prefer Zulus with Black Metal Hardware.
👍⌚👏👏👏👏

·
"The Prospector"
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you very much indeed Nathan and thank you for the compliment, means a lot coming from someone who has a top class collection!
And yes working at my job full time was very stressful, as it is with with most folks, first they want their pound of flesh then two pounds of flesh, then the whole bloody carcass!! ;):rolleyes: Now 2 days a week, gives me more 'me' time and allows me to be more discerning and the money allows me to continue buying the watches I like. So happy days ! :grin:
Looks really nice Jack, you are building up a real nice quality collection, retirement is helping as your more relaxed :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice review Vyn! Good looking piece as well, but not too sure that clasp is really in keeping with the rest of it - that’s designed for a more substantial watch IMHO.

I like the simplicity of it - uncluttered, classic and simple. Great pickup.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
A true rendering of my favorite Smiths device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Prospector"
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Leffe;)
Nice review Vyn! Good looking piece as well, but not too sure that clasp is really in keeping with the rest of it - that’s designed for a more substantial watch IMHO.

I like the simplicity of it - uncluttered, classic and simple. Great pickup.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You are welcome, and in answer to your question, Yes it does have a phantom crown position, as when you unscrew the crown and pull the stem to the 'first click' nothing happens, when you then continue to the 'second click' the movement hacks and the hands can be adjusted. I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Vyn.
Guys,

Anyone know the reason why some movements would have the phantom position described by vyn above? I think if it does nothing why would they have done it

·
Registered
256 Posts
Guys,

Anyone know the reason why some movements would have the phantom position described by vyn above? I think if it does nothing why would they have done it
Because often smaller brands would source a movement with date but use it in a watch with a no date dial as done here (9015 has date). Some watchmakers modify the movement to remove the date wheel, some don't. So while it doesn't look like it is doing anything, you could be turning the date wheel in that 1st position.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Looks very well on you Vyn.

As you say, that clasp does seem to overwhelm things slightly. Well, a lot really :(

I'm a member across at TZ-UK as well and I believe the Everest is going to be sold on a rivet style oyster that tapers to 16mm in future.

Get the bracelet off and get it on a nice Perlon for the summer :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Nice looking watch Vyn, though it's link to 1953 and the accent of Everest is to say the least tenuous and given the rivalry at the time between Smith's and Rolex about who's watch actually got to the summit, it's very 'Rolex' appearance will probably have the management and workers of Smith's at the time spinning in their graves......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts