The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this off the bay, from a reputable seller (in my eyes), bought the last one, and he messaged me saying I wouldn't believe the difference in texture from the later straps.
It arrived next day, opened up the parcel (well wrapped as always, with nice personal thank you), removed the strap and couldn't believe the feel. It's so much softer than imagined, it didn't need to be boiled really, and the length is something else

Same hole as normal, but it reaches all the way back.
Anyway, here's a pic, judge for yourselves the difference.

Regards
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
great find...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Stefan was selling a few, but not GL831 marked ones. The last 7549-7010 I serviced was owned by the original purchaser and it had exactly the same non marked strap. He wore it as a dive watch in the seventies and that one was so long he actually cut the end off! I was a bit sceptical as to whether it was genuine but he insisted his memory wasn't failing and it was the original. Seeing Stefans ones for sale corroborates his story, just goes to show you live and learn. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

These are the only markings on the inner side of strap.
I trust what I've been sold, and the story from Cannop supports my purchase. I'd quite happily trim mine down if I was diving in the 70s :) .
Stefans service is top notch IMHO, all boxes ticked for me.

Regards
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nice catch then... I love the look of the original rubber straps but the length is an issue except on the original Z22 or the modern Z22 DAL1BP

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
I got these off the same retired Seiko official watchmaker who worked in Knowle near Birmingham for 30 years as recent as 3 weeks ago, he's now 75 yrs old & showed me old newspapers of him & Seiko opening his shop & other articles relating to new seiko stuff coming out. I sent Tiger some pics of the huge stock I purchased, I have no doubt these are original, the quality is GL standard & the suppleness second to none, They were sealed in a very dusty bag along with some genuine Seiko waffle straps which Ive also been selling. I think like Duncan says we learn all the time! Ive kept 3 & sold the rest & everyone has been very pleased with them. Hope this helps guys & thanks for the kind words from all.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I have a few GL831s, all identical in every way that i can see but one of them dose not have the GL831 and the original owner confirmed it came on a new Seiko and then he replaced it because it became stiff.

These Stefan was selling looked VERY nice.

As we always say, we can only generalise where Seiko is concerned as they always seem to throw something into the works when we think we have it sorted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts