The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seem to be popping up on various sites and I'd have thought that someone here would have picked one of them up by now! =]

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1 Posts
They seem to be popping up on various sites and I'd have thought that someone here would have picked one of them up by now! =]

<* shark >>><
Hi there, is it the C153-5007 youre looking for? I just stumbled across one of them, a 6119-8163, and a V743-5A00 today as a single lot.

·
Registered
301 Posts
All the pictures I see, the case shape just seems off, like narrower, less curved at the top or something.
With indices changed from the original shape, like narrower/tapered towards the middle.
Along with end link fit that seems like they just phoned it in. Maybe it’s the angle of the pictures or something, and I’m not saying it’s perfect, but I think I got a better end link fit with an SKX bracelet and a file.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the pictures I see, the case shape just seems off, like narrower, less curved at the top or something.
With indices changed from the original shape, like narrower/tapered towards the middle.
Along with end link fit that seems like they just phoned it in. Maybe it’s the angle of the pictures or something, and I’m not saying it’s perfect, but I think I got a better end link fit with an SKX bracelet and a file.
that may all be true (I've never seen one in the flesh as of today), but as I'm really a desk diver guy, I'll probably get one. that being said, I won't be buying it with the assumption that it is anything close to being a direct copy of the original 6105. I'll be buying it for what it is, a new, pretty cool watch that I can bang around while washing the car or doing paint touch ups around the house. you mention the indicies being changed from the original shape. my question to you is "what" original shape? this is a new watch that's similar to a previous release, but was NEVER purported to be an exact copy. that is what a lot of hobbyists wanted, not seiko.

just enjoy the new release(s) for what they are - a pretty cool watch. don't keep comparing it to something that's 50 years old. here's a good analogy: while I love older cars be it a porsche, a benz, an american muscle car, sometimes they are a ***** to drive. in contrast, a new model, while not cool to some auto purists, are a thing of beauty to drive with the new technology - PDK shifting, better braking, better overall suspensions, better steering (you ever try to drive a '69 Z28?...whew! HEAVY clutch and steering!) and even GPS. don't knock the new watches for not being their predecessors. enjoy them for what they have to offer you today!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
644 Posts
What are your first impressions? I know it's ungrateful to judge from one photo but looking at yours, I feel the dial is somewhat off balance. Might be just the camera angle though.
My first impression the dome crystal cause the distortion. Hands are more balance compared to SLA033. Will write more in my coming review

·
Registered
644 Posts
that may all be true (I've never seen one in the flesh as of today), but as I'm really a desk diver guy, I'll probably get one. that being said, I won't be buying it with the assumption that it is anything close to being a direct copy of the original 6105. I'll be buying it for what it is, a new, pretty cool watch that I can bang around while washing the car or doing paint touch ups around the house. you mention the indicies being changed from the original shape. my question to you is "what" original shape? this is a new watch that's similar to a previous release, but was NEVER purported to be an exact copy. that is what a lot of hobbyists wanted, not seiko.

just enjoy the new release(s) for what they are - a pretty cool watch. don't keep comparing it to something that's 50 years old. here's a good analogy: while I love older cars be it a porsche, a benz, an american muscle car, sometimes they are a * to drive. in contrast, a new model, while not cool to some auto purists, are a thing of beauty to drive with the new technology - PDK shifting, better braking, better overall suspensions, better steering (you ever try to drive a '69 Z28?...whew! HEAVY clutch and steering!) and even GPS. don't knock the new watches for not being their predecessors. enjoy them for what they have to offer you today!

<* shark >>><
This is a beater for me. I guess this will be the "new" SKX of the future.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, I don’t want a new dive watch with Lume that will be shot as the years go by, 150m WR, a non screw down crown, a bidirectional non clicking bezel, a flimsy bracelet, and a plexi crystal.

But I would Love a new dive watch that looks exactly like a fifty year old mil Sub, 6105, SM300, etc. with 300m WR, screw down crown, unidirectional 120click bezel, AR sapphire, And a killer bracelet.

And the market is heavily leaned in this direction.

And the market is saturated with entry priced, mid priced, higher priced, and luxury priced options.

The main gist of what I am saying is Seiko seems to be very disconnected with this.

They have killed what was the world‘s most popular entry level diver and most common, most addictive gateway drug to their divers and overall brand to replace it with a non screw down crown, non diver version with a funky new symbol in a variety of colors.

There is a huge market for updated feature classic divers At entry and mid level prices.
To the point homages, clones, repo market, etc.

There is a much, much smaller market for expensive versions.
There is a much, much smaller market for funkyfied, changed asthetic versions.
There is a much, much smaller market for whole new looks, designs.

when you ignore your base, you do not do well.

35 years ago Beretta 92 was literally costarring in hit movies, being adopted by the military, LE, and selling a ton to the popular market.

The market wanted a true compact version. They made the Cougar instead. A failed line.
The market wanted a subcompact version. They made the 9000s instead. A failed line.
The market wanted a railed version. They made some very expensive limited edition version. Which failed.
The market wanted a realistically priced railed version. They made a funky looking, oddly named 90-Two. The line failed on the market.
The market had some interest in a polymer framed version. They made a whole new PX4 line incorporating aspects of all their failed lines instead. It is a failed product they refuse to admit and is on life support.
The market wanted moderately priced USPSA/IPSC/IDPA off the shelf competition guns. They made expensive, limited versions without the ideal features. CZ stepped in responsive to the market and now owns it.
The market wanted a polymer striker fired 92magazine compatible gun. They brought out the non 92 magazine compatible APX, after a string of non 92 magazine compatible failed pistol lines, with average to above average features into a flooded striker market, and the line is currently with fire sale prices and rebates.
The market wanted guns with a few features. They brought out guns with one feature, but not both in the same fun. The market was not interested.

WC and LTT began offering Beretta guns the market wanted. They have sold well. Now Beretta is getting on board. But with a couple of decades of wasted R&D, tooling, market, lost revenue, etc. behind them.

All from ignoring true market wants.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't believe more haven't picked this up yet on this forum. they are all over others...<grin>. i may have to take a drive to toppers to check it out. that video someone posted made me "think twice" about it, but it looks awfully good (both colors) in photos.

<* shark >>><

1 - 15 of 15 Posts