The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy contacted me saying his crown woulddn't screw in on a nearly new SKX.

Weird we thought :confused:
They should be fine for decades.

I did suggest the seal may be at fault.

I got it today and here it is.

Two new generic seals later, some silicon and grease on it and it's fixed :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I can't understand your approache to professional watchmaking. The correct crown gasket is EZ0140B0A. This is NOT a standard o-ring profile but an E profile which has a flat inner wall and tapered D shape outer wall. Without these the SKX007 will not reliably pass a pressure test. The correct gasket is cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I can't understand your approache to professional watchmaking. The correct crown gasket is EZ0140B0A. This is NOT a standard o-ring profile but an E profile which has a flat inner wall and tapered D shape outer wall. Without these the SKX007 will not reliably pass a pressure test. The correct gasket is cheap and readily available.
Well I think we all realize he is not a professional or just trying on purpose to get a rise from us with foolish stuff like this...doing it right is the only way to do it and it is also cost effective
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Because even the gorilla wouldn't go there.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well I think we all realize he is not a professional or just trying on purpose to get a rise from us with foolish stuff like this...doing it right is the only way to do it and it is also cost effective
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
The impression I get is this is his Job. I have seldom noticed a post where he is not working on someone elses watch or a watch he is going to sell.

Posting bad advice here is not a crime, but I get tired of the "I'm taking the easiest and the least professional path with someone else's watch" approach to watchmaking.

Post all the ways you work on your own watches to your heart's content, but if it's on a client's watch we only want to see professional work.

Comments like (I'm going paraphrase here) ...

I only use two oils in a watch (or was it one? )

You don't need a mainspring winder. I tried one once then never used it again.

You only need to use generic crown gaskets.

The list goes on and on....

Don't get me wrong, he asks plenty of questions and can give good advice too. It's just the sub standard work on a client's watch I find bothersome.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I'm not going to order the specific seal when these two work well and will last just as long.

This passed the water pressure test :)

My fix works well, is cheap, fast and my customer is happy with it :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
It passed a 250M test??

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Try reading testing procedures for ISO divers watches - which must resist a 25% overpressure, as 200m is a working depth, not a limit.
So did you test it like normal?, I presume if you test 100m watches to 30m, then you tested this one to 60m???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts