The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm looking for an aftermarket dial for a 6105-8110/8119. I'd love to have an original (and I am looking for one) but not holding out a lot of hope and probably not want to spend that much.

Several years ago I bought a "lot" of watches off of eBay. In the lot was a 6105 diver. No back (ugh! something else I'd love to find for it!) or crystal or crown or movement and no dial. I have an original dial but it was painted red at some point in it's life. Seeing as how I don't want to spend another $$$ on this project, sending the dial out to be restored is not an option. So, that's why I'm looking for an aftermarket dial.

I've looked at a few on eBay but they seem to have issues--- seconds markings are too large, markings on dial look "off", green lume (I have some superluminova so not a big deal to relume), no clear view of the dial (it's in a watch), etc.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

John

·
Ultimate Collector
3,254 Posts
With case back missing and a red painted dial, this is a huge problem. The fake dials that are all over eBay are truly awful, and are only slightly better than no dial.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Well i have started off with less....it all takes patience and lots of time spent looking but anything can be done.....pm sent....i think i might be able to help...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd recommend an AM dial from dagaz or yobokies. It won't look original, but personally I'd rather have something different than something that pretends to be something it's not. The 6105 is undoubtedly iconic, and I can understand wanting to go with the original look, but the fake dials will never measure up to expectations of what the watch should be. The AM dials are better quality and also bring a different set of expectations. there is also the option of Modding with a different Seiko dial. a MM dial gives a similar look with more attractive (IMO) round markers. sometimes I buy watches on eBay just because I like the dial and think it'd make a good mod. If you go the mod route you can always watch for original parts over time, and in the mean time, it can be your creation.

·
Administrator
32,595 Posts
I'd recommend an AM dial from dagaz or yobokies. It won't look original, but personally I'd rather have something different than something that pretends to be something it's not. The 6105 is undoubtedly iconic, and I can understand wanting to go with the original look, but the fake dials will never measure up to expectations of what the watch should be. The AM dials are better quality and also bring a different set of expectations. there is also the option of Modding with a different Seiko dial. a MM dial gives a similar look with more attractive (IMO) round markers. sometimes I buy watches on eBay just because I like the dial and think it'd make a good mod. If you go the mod route you can always watch for original parts over time, and in the mean time, it can be your creation.
I agree, the after market 6105 dials just look so after market or rubbish :)

With a MM dial or the likes you will have a OEM dial that looks correct, with a after market 6105 dial will you ever be happy with the look ?

·
Registered
743 Posts
How about one like this? Not a 6105 AM dial but a 62MAS dial and hand set which I think are an improvement on the quality of the current 6105 AM dials:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everybody raises some good points. I have been torn on what type of dial to use. My ultimate goal has been to put this back as Seiko originally intended but in the mean time putting it together with a semi-original look (aftermarket dial) & collecting the original parts as I can find them-- which will be very difficult, especially the caseback.

I like the look of the watch Mark50 has though I'd like a bit of color-- maybe a yellow second hand. I do have a couple Seiko dials I could use such as a glow-in-the-dark Seiko 5 or maybe a brown Actus. I reckon I should sit down & do a trial fitting of these dials (and maybe a couple of others I have)

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well i have just started with a case with no case back...i made a whole 6309 7040 that way...anything can be done..

·
Registered
169 Posts
well i have just started with a case with no case back...i made a whole 6309 7040 that way...anything can be done..

Would you mind letting me know (even by pm) where I could source see through aftermarket or original 6309-7040 casebacks? It's just that mine seems to be a bit rusty and would like to increase the water resistance by replacing it need be. Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
As the title says, I'm looking for an aftermarket dial for a 6105-8110/8119. I'd love to have an original (and I am looking for one) but not holding out a lot of hope and probably not want to spend that much.

Several years ago I bought a "lot" of watches off of eBay. In the lot was a 6105 diver. No back (ugh! something else I'd love to find for it!) or crystal or crown or movement and no dial. I have an original dial but it was painted red at some point in it's life. Seeing as how I don't want to spend another $$$ on this project, sending the dial out to be restored is not an option. So, that's why I'm looking for an aftermarket dial.

I've looked at a few on eBay but they seem to have issues--- seconds markings are too large, markings on dial look "off", green lume (I have some superluminova so not a big deal to relume), no clear view of the dial (it's in a watch), etc.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

John
try eBay seller seikosis.
probably nicest 6105 dials on eBay.
pair up with yobokies 6105 hands with actual red lumed dot on the second hand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
try eBay seller seikosis.
probably nicest 6105 dials on eBay.
pair up with yobokies 6105 hands with actual red lumed dot on the second hand.
I have seen his dials but I really didn't want to spend that much on an aftermarket dial. I looked at Yobokies dials but he doesn't have any of the ones I like. Sigh . . .

Looks like I'll have to settle (for the time being) on the red painted original dial I have. I've got a set of original hands that just need some lume & I have lots of aftermarket hands in different styles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts