The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just came in today.. back from the watchmaker where it was in for a full service.. still needs a Crystal.. I suspect this is one of the earliest examples of this model or any 6139..

Attachments

·
Craftsman
3,712 Posts
Yes, That is one of the first 6139 speedtimers but I believe it has the wrong hour + minute hands.

Photo stolen just before a back door deal occurred

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how it came to me... They do look ok with the dial but I'll try and find out. I haven't seen this dial on another watch yet..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,712 Posts
That's how it came to me... They do look ok with the dial but I'll try and find out. I haven't seen this dial on another watch yet..

Still a great find! These don't come along very often.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Google isn't too helpful with comparison pics.. while many Speedtimer models have different hand styles I suspect that in this case they are just wrong. Anyone here had a yellow Speedtimer pogue for comparison? She's a very pretty watch all the same.. I wonder what causes the wear to the dial around the totaliser.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This is my June 69 6139-6000:

And I do have a Feb 1970 Speedtimer here but as I have just sold it to a friend I cannot post it for comparison unless I get his OK. The hands are the same style of hour and minute but yours has the earlier seconds 2 piece hand like my one above.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ok check out this baby. I picked it up earlier this week and am sad to say I have already let Thickman808 take it from me.... sniff sniff.... It's a Feb 1970 6139-6030 with Proof dial and Proof case back. Not a split seconds hand but the sub minute hand is gold :cool:

Lucky I like Tom otherwise he'd have stood no chance getting this one from me :grin:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, That is one of the first 6139 speedtimers but I believe it has the wrong hour + minute hands.

Photo stolen just before a back door deal occurred

Sorry Tom. It's my fault. It came to Spain:

·
Administrator
30,651 Posts
IMO I think the 6139s are one of if not the best looking models Seiko produced, colourful and quality.

I remember seeing a couple in a Jewellers (new) back in the 70s and I really lusted after them but couldent afford them( kids wanted to eat, bills to pay etc, thinking about it not much has changed in the last 40 odd years :) ).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ok check out this baby. I picked it up earlier this week and am sad to say I have already let Thickman808 take it from me.... sniff sniff.... It's a Feb 1970 6139-6030 with Proof dial and Proof case back. Not a split seconds hand but the sub minute hand is gold :cool:

Lucky I like Tom otherwise he'd have stood no chance getting this one from me :grin:
Haha, it would be like the UFO all over again! But then I suppose I was only going to sell on the UFO. But THiS one I'm keeping :)

·
Craftsman
3,712 Posts
Sorry Tom. It's my fault. It came to Spain:

I'm feeling better already Jose! At least a friend got it........:) Mind if I ask how much? Just send me a PM if you're not comfortable posting the price.
Congratulations on scoring that rarity.

Tom

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Haha, it would be like the UFO all over again! But then I suppose I was only going to sell on the UFO. But THiS one I'm keeping :)
I'm happy I could return the favour :) You've been waiting a lot longer than me for one of these! Bagsey I buy the next one though!!! ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
IMO I think the 6139s are one of if not the best looking models Seiko produced, colourful and quality.

I remember seeing a couple in a Jewellers (new) back in the 70s and I really lusted after them but couldent afford them( kids wanted to eat, bills to pay etc, thinking about it not much has changed in the last 40 odd years :) ).
Totally agree with you John, defiantly a model with great character.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm feeling better already Jose! At least a friend got it........:) Mind if I ask how much? Just send me a PM if you're not comfortable posting the price.
Congratulations on scoring that rarity.

Tom
Thank you Tom. PM with price :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
some fantastic watches on show here gents.Can't believe how good they look after 40 odd years. Finally got a 6012 blue face, doesn't keep time as well as my quartz models but still looks great after all these years !!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
some fantastic watches on show here gents.Can't believe how good they look after 40 odd years. Finally got a 6012 blue face, doesn't keep time as well as my quartz models but still looks great after all these years !!

Jeff
Probably just needs a little lovin' and a service :) Mine all keep spot on time considering but if you want true perfect time keeping then you can't beat Quartz. That said I have a regulator clock made c1850 that keeps to within 2 seconds over 3 months ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts