Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a visit today

...this guy.

seems he brought me this..
[img]

What could it be?

Just got home about an hour ago, put the children to bed, and have had a minute to sit down and look myself.

[img]

Bernhardt Globemaster GMT Black & Red

Apparently a very few of these with Red GMT & Seconds hands were made in the batch of 500 all black and the Blue & Orange Globemaster GMTs. I got this one, literally, off Fred's wrist.

[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
I really like the red GMT skeleton hand. Doesn't dominate the dial like red can, but its easy to pick up on the dial too (which the silver just wasn't in any of the pictures). Great size, solid, solid, solid feeling and the bracelet is also very solid. Triple time zone feature is also a nice touch with the rotating bezel, GMT hand, and main hand sets.

The wooden box is really nice IMHO. Not large, not fancy but the fit on it is TIGHT and it seems to be just right for the watch. Hand numbered certificate for the LE. Instructions. And best of all - wearable straight out of the box because the bracelet is MAN Sized!! [img]http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cheers.png

Fred put a new bracelet on it (plastic and all), new date on the warranty, packed it all up in the nice wooden box and popped it into the mail to me on Monday. Arrived this morning via USPS - not too shabby!

I appreciated Fred selling me his personal watch, as I really only wanted the red & black model. Lume is mediocre honestly. Everything else seems to be top flight though so its a relatively minor issue. How can he sell these at $399?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Doc that is nice looking. Glad you got the manual out so you can tell which hand is the GMT hand :D

Congrats on it it looks nice and beefy quite a looker!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I know its not Japanese and certainly not a Seiko, but I like it nonetheless.

You jest about the manual. This one has a unique converted Eta movement that modified the Day of the Week wheel to handle the GMT function. I wanted to make certain that there were no oddities about setting it before I did so for the first time. Would have hated to harm the mechanism. The nice part is that its pretty straightforward and completely independent.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That looks really nice. The red GMT hand makes it.

I didn't realize he had these in black as I seem to remember the NY Knick blue and orange.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nhoJ said:
That looks really nice. The red GMT hand makes it.

I didn't realize he had these in black as I seem to remember the NY Knick blue and orange.
Thanks. Yes, he has them in All Black with silver GMT hand right now. The Red hands were made for a "few" and they are all sold out. He's done other color combos in the past with a Green one that was very popular (half the bezel was green and the GMT hand and second hand too as I recall). He offered a yellow at one point and the Blue & Orange is the best known and the one that has the most out in circulation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts