The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Just received my first 6309 7040 in the mail today that was purchased off ebay and love it. The dial & bezel insert are original from the looks of it but not sure about the hands. the dial and insert pip still glow for about a 1 minute or 2 but the hands doesn't at all.

The only issue is the bezel is really loose. It can be turned really easily and only locks at certain spots. can any suggest what can i do to fix this? the click ball is still there when I took the bezel off.

Also any know where I can get all the gaskets from so I can have my watchmaker replace them when it goes in for a service?

Thanks

Also attached a picture of what I have purchased in the last 6 months. This is addicting!

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello & welcome to SCWF!

Nice 6309! Concerning your click ball problem, try this thread, maybe it helps:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1270127656/6309+click+ball+repair+advice+needed+within+UK%5CEU

Also, you might try and renew the spring that pushes the ball. I haven't tried it yet, but I read somewhere that a spring taken from a spring bar should work.

For the gaskets, send an email to Luka-san, who is member on this forum. He should be able to help you. Here you can find the part # for those gaskets:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1267607751/Need+part+numbers+for+SEIKO+diver+gasket

·
Registered
162 Posts
welcome... i had the same problem with a "new" watch I received. The forum members helped me through it. I was advised first to check the bezel to make sure it was not warped or bent. Second I was told to clean the bezel and watch case. It looked clean to the eye and I put it back together but still wobbled. I took it apart again and got a toothbrush (baby brush-very soft) and cleaned it. I then took the gasket/o-ring out and cleaned it and then took silicone grease and applied it to the gasket. it should look slightly wet when you are finished. I put the gasket back in. To my amazement everything worked great. No more wobble. (there must have been invisible dirt somewhere.) The members here are most helpful and I hope I explained the procedure correctly.

here is a pic of my family

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
swing---kid said:
Also, you might try and renew the spring that pushes the ball. I haven't tried it yet, but I read somewhere that a spring taken from a spring bar should work.

Good advice from Swing-kid all around, but I'd recommend you leave the click spring and ball alone if it is intact and the ball will spring up after being pushed on. Spring bar springs are typically not as strong compared to the original click ball spring from Seiko, so they are only a last resort. BTW, I've seen the original springs still for sale, but again, don't take the ball out of the case unless you are positive this is the source of your problem. You'd just be creating unnecessary work for yourself that may not even be the cause of your issue. If you are taking the watch to a watchmaker, why not let him sort it out for you? He should know where to obtain gaskets, and also be able to clean the case disassembled.

Regardless, before you look at anything else, I'd replace the bezel gasket- this gasket's purpose is to "take up the slack" so to speak and offer even resistance when turning the bezel. Clean surfaces on the case, crystal retaining ring, and bezel are musts as well. Before exposing the watch to moisture to clean these areas, it would be a good idea to have the watch pressure tested, so that you don't damage the movement, dial, hands, and/or chapter ring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A good cleaning and replacing the bezel gasket usually does the trick.
you can also get the click ball moving with some toothpicks and a tiny bit of watch oil to get it to depress
sometimes the spring under the click ball gets caked with dirt and just needs a tiny bit of lube to get it moving again.

your hands are original- the lume on the hands and dial age differently.
They might not always match and thats ok.
Usually if the hands are very brightly glowing and the dial is dead , you could safely guess,that the hands are a replacement set.
the Flat style hands are original to the 6309 diver

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the tips. So I removed the bezel and took the gasket out and gave it a good cleaning and cleaned the area beside the crystal and applied silicone grease on the gasket and its still having the same issue. The bezel is perfectly flat.

Is there any other suggestions? New gasket?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
dex said:
Thanks everyone for the tips. So I removed the bezel and took the gasket out and gave it a good cleaning and cleaned around the crystal and applied silicone grease on the gasket and its still having the same issue.

Is there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Dex,
Do you know the age of the gasket? More importantly, what is its condition? Is it completely soft and supple, or starting to harden? Is it possible that it is too thin? When you say the bezel locks at certain spots, what do you mean by "locks"? The resistance felt should be even all the way around as the bezel is turned, unless some component is warped/bent/damaged. Try to focus first on the resistance, then later look toward the "clicks" created by the click ball. Was the watch advertised as having new, genuine gaskets installed? If not, I'd replace the gasket first as a process of elimination, and see what changes- it is the cheapest thing you can do at this point, too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rileynp said:
Hi Dex,
Do you know the age of the gasket? More importantly, what is its condition? Is it completely soft and supple, or starting to harden? Is it possible that it is too thin? When you say the bezel locks at certain spots, what do you mean by "locks"? The resistance felt should be even all the way around as the bezel is turned, unless some component is warped/bent/damaged. Try to focus first on the resistance, then later look toward the "clicks" created by the click ball. Was the watch advertised as having new, genuine gaskets installed? If not, I'd replace the gasket first as a process of elimination, and see what changes- it is the cheapest thing you can do at this point, too.
Hi Rileynp

I'm not sure on the age of the gasket and the seller did not know the service history of the watch. So I am assuming nothing was replaced before it was sold.

What I totally forgot to mention earlier is that when the 5 to 15 marker and also the 30-45 marker passes the 12 o'clock position the bezel slides right by without even clicking or barley locking in place, so no resistant at.

From looking at it closer these two area look to be worn down more than the other grooves . I guess a new bezel will be the only fix.

I guess that's what I should of expected for $80 off ebay :-[

·
Registered
221 Posts
At least you were able to find out what the problem is. If the click ball is puhsed up as it should, maybe you could just post a WTB for a bezel? Maybe someone still has one from a bits and pieces project. Actually, it takes a while to source a decent 6309 diver on ebay for a decent price. And 80$ isn't much money for a watch that will give you a lot of joy once it's running fine! Good luck with the bezel!

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you have tried all the suggestions so far, you have a problem with a worn part, either the bezel or the case itself. If you had another bezel you could see which it is, but unfortunately these things do wear out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts