The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm a newbie to the site so please go easy on me....

My father passed away several years ago and my mum recently found an old watch of his and gave it to me.

He wore the watch when my parents first met and so i believe it dates from the early 1970's.

It hasn't been worn for the best part of 30 years and so id love to get it back up and running but i also wanted to try and get a little more information- the movement number i can see is 6139-6012.

The glass is pretty beat up so I'm guessing would need replacing.
I've had it to a local watch repair place who opened it up and had a quick look-- they found a small amount of rust around the edge underneath the case back and the push buttons on the side are stiff/ stuck.

I'd love if anyone one can shed a little light on the watch/ its history/ if it looks all original/ if its likely to be repairable etc etc....

I'm not too interested in the financial value as it means far more to me just to have the watch back working and wearable..

Thank you in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Welcome to SCWF.

That looks like a nice one to me and certainly repairable. An August '71 version. Once it's had a service, crystal replacement and pushers sorted it's going to be a lovely watch. Some lume degradation on the hour hand but nothing too terrible.

A number of very talented members here who could have a look at it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to SCWF.

That looks like a nice one to me and certainly repairable. Once it's had a service, crystal replacement and pushers sorted it's going to be a lovely watch. Some lume degradation on the hour hand but nothing too terrible.

A number of very talented members here who could have a look at it for you.
Thanks for your quick reply..... I'm hoping to keep it as original as possible by replacing as few parts as possible... I want it to remain as the watch my dad first purchased in the 70's and not basically be a new watch inside an old shell (if that makes sense).....
I'm hoping to learn as much about the watch and its history as possible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Matt,
That looks like a nice candidate for a service and clean up. I think a new crystal and a movement service would put that watch right. I have been keeping an eye out for one of these nice blue dial 6139s, the dial colour looks really gorgeous on these.

In terms of the history of the piece, have a look at the 6139 movement. There were various models equipped with this movement and it was seiko’s first auto chrono (arguably the first auto chrono but we will leave that debate for another time)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt,
That looks like a nice candidate for a service and clean up. I think a new crystal and a movement service would put that watch right. I have been keeping an eye out for one of these nice blue dial 6139s, the dial colour looks really gorgeous on these.

In terms of the history of the piece, have a look at the 6139 movement. There were various models equipped with this movement and it was seiko’s first auto chrono (arguably the first auto chrono but we will leave that debate for another time)
Thanks Tmeakin.... it's reassuring to hear people think it should (hopefully) be a relatively simple service and crystal replacement job....
I purchased my first Seiko last week (an SRPC41K1) and it was only when I told my mum about the new Seiko that she told me about my dads old one she had stored away.
I know back in the day he didn't buy cheap rubbish (he bought a Ford Capri in his 20's so he had good taste at the time)...
I've read a little about the 6139 movement this afternoon and the race for it to be the first automatic chrono which was fascinating..... That's what lead me to this forum so I'd love to know more about it from the guys (and presumably girls) on here-- about the history, the authenticity, maybe even ideas on places to have it serviced etc.....
I've liked watches for years but always bought new so never had to have anything serviced/ repaired before....

Thanks again....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your father's watch is a great one. A very standard service and crystal polishing (might be possible, better than replacing it) and that watch will be good to go! The model is one of my favorite 6139s - I have the black dial - and the patina makes it personal and special.
Enjoy it for years to come.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hello Matt, glad to have you here. I, like many on here are infatuated with the 6139 variants. Please search the threads for all of the information on 6139’s. There is a wealth of info here. You can also do a Google search and read up on the many articles on it. Lots of YouTube content too.

As was mentioned there are several folks here that service this movement. Your watch is pristine and you would not lose any of its originality other than the crystal which is a wear item and are inexpensive to get.

Here is a picture of my RESIST dial 6139-6010. your RESIST dial will look like mine after a service. They are stunning dials in the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forums. I agree with all of the comments above. It looks like a beautiful piece and needs a sympathetic restoration. There are many on here who work on 6139s, which are some of my favourite vintage seikos. As it was your father's, it has tremendous sentimental value and it deserves to be restored and then be on your wrist. It will connect you to your father, always.

All the best,

Neel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts