The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon/evening/morning - it seems to me that this is a forum that covers the globe.

It all started with me acquiring a lovely 1972 Monaco. One thing has led to another and, before I know it, I find myself wanting to learn more and as a consequence, acquire more Seikos. I've always loved watches and had a collection that I put together in the 1990s that got stolen a few years ago. The collection consisted of mainly 1950s Longines, Waltham, Movado, Bulova, Roamer and some more obscure ones and I just loved the aesthetic, movements and craftsmanship. That was then and this is now and I'm really appreciating the same all over again, but with Seikos of the 1970s.

One of the forum members from whom I acquired the Monaco has been both helpful and informative and that's what's led me here. I'm not 100% certain of where this is heading, but it'll be a fascinating journey and one that I'm looking forward to.

My first mission is to find a bracelet for the Monaco and then start looking to add more watches to create an interesting collection with a story behind it.

Glad to be here on this forum.

Mark

·
Registered
398 Posts
Welcome Mark. Seems a friendly joint this, not been here long myself.

Whereabouts in the UK are you if I might ask?

Cheers, Andrew

·
Special Member
12,724 Posts
welcome and enjoy the stay. A 7016 Monaco was also one of the first watches that got me addicted and pushed me over the cliff got me interested in this wonderful and relaxing hobby.

Reactions: Reflex

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
^^^^^ Pay no attention to Mike. There is nothing to fear. Everything is just fine. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mwadner

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Mark. Seems a friendly joint this, not been here long myself.

Whereabouts in the UK are you if I might ask?

Cheers, Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. I’m just outside London.
As you say, seem like a friendly bunch so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've taken the plunge and bought a couple of watches that I just liked the look of just wear every day (the 6309 5030s) and then a couple more to wear every now and then (the 6139 8002 and 6139 6010). I'm hoping that they are as original as the vendor described, particularly the last two! Fingers crossed. I'd be interested to receive any comments.

Does anyone have any views on the square/rectangular-faced Vanacs such as the 5626 5050 and the 6106 5470? I'm loving that look.

Quite a few people pointed out that this can be addictive and now I get it!:)🤣

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Your -8002 looks good at first glance. The -6010 is a very nice looking proof dial watch. I would like to see the caseback. The only non-original part are the reddish sweep and tear drop hands. The originals would be red and the sweep hand would be a two-piece. Great work on these two.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your -8002 looks good at first glance. The -6010 is a very nice looking proof dial watch. I would like to see the caseback. The only non-original part are the reddish sweep and tear drop hands. The originals would be red and the sweep hand would be a two-piece. Great work on these two.

Thanks for the reassurance, CombatID. Sounds like the 6010 is 'almost there'. Here's the caseback of the watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are very nice pieces. @CombatID is a true expert, and if he says they are good, then they are good!!
Thanks guys. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

I also picked up a tatty-looking 6119 6023 with the intention of trying to smarten it up. The crystal is badly scratched and I might have a go at removing these (You Tube seems to have a few suggestions on how to do this). If that fails, then I'll try and replace it. That'll mean opening up the back, removing the movement, which will be a first! Again, I'll turn to You Tube. What can go wrong? 🤣

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
These are very nice pieces. @CombatID is a true expert, and if he says they are good, then they are good!!
Well thanks, on the shoulders of giants as the quote goes.

Reactions: SennieG

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks guys. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

I also picked up a tatty-looking 6119 6023 with the intention of trying to smarten it up. The crystal is badly scratched and I might have a go at removing these (You Tube seems to have a few suggestions on how to do this). If that fails, then I'll try and replace it. That'll mean opening up the back, removing the movement, which will be a first! Again, I'll turn to You Tube. What can go wrong? 🤣
Welcome to the site! I picked up a tatty 6119 for parts and ended up putting a sapphire crystal in it and now it goes into rotation now and then, I really enjoy it.
6119 crystal.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the site! I picked up a tatty 6119 for parts and ended up putting a sapphire crystal in it and now it goes into rotation now and then, I really enjoy it.
View attachment 465932
Cool. I'll wear mine too, in rotation with others. Was it an easy job to take out and replace the crystal? I'm worried about taking the crown and spindle(??) of/out and getting it back in!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cool. I'll wear mine too, in rotation with others. Was it an easy job to take out and replace the crystal? I'm worried about taking the crown and spindle(??) of/out and getting it back in!
This would not be the 1st one to try your skills out on, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This would not be the 1st one to try your skills out on, just my 2 cents.
Happy to receive and comments! I'm new to all of this. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't try it because of the complexity of that particular watch or because I might wreck something of value? The fact is that it only cost a few pounds and I thought 'I've got to start somewhere, I suppose.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Happy to receive and comments! I'm new to all of this. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't try it because of the complexity of that particular watch or because I might wreck something of value? The fact is that it only cost a few pounds and I thought 'I've got to start somewhere, I suppose.
Both really, current value on that 6119 resist/resist is quite a bit more than a few pounds, and it is a far more complex watch to do a crystal swap on because of the internal rotating bezel, if you have never done any watch work at all. Just my opinion. You could try practicing on a few watches that have an actual value of a few pounds, or just go for it :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts