The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to SCWF after inheriting my Father's everyday watch that he used in the 70's and 80's:

Seiko Automatic 7006-7119 (s/n starts with "28")

Trying to decide best path forward to get it cleaned up and functioning again as an everyday watch for myself.

Needs servicing/cleaning and may need new crystal, gasket...
Bracelet needs to be resized for my wrist (new links? larger clasp? new band?)

SeikoUSA official service is $145 (w/o crystal)
I am also searching for local watchmakers in Los Angeles and have an on-line estimate coming.
Some buddies at work are watch collectors, but I am not certain I want to give them a go at it.

Suggestions and advice for a Newbie?
What direction would you go?
Also, I am having trouble finding any information on this specific model/caliber....is it a DX?
How do I identify bracelets and find additional links or replacement parts for the bracelet?

Nervous about buying crystals, gaskets, etc. on-line because the ones I am finding seem to match the 7006 range, not the 7006-7119 specifically.

Thanks in advance for any replies or advice!!!
--Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hi Matt,

you’ve come to the right place...

Good luck in your quest to restore your Dad’s watch, it’s a very common reason people find this place (and can be the top of a very slippery slope!)

The 7006-7119 is an entry level Seiko dress watch, yours dates from August 1972. The correct replacement crystal is 300T15ANGO originals of which can be found on eBay, or you can buy generic replacements from a number of watch supply houses - 30.0mm diameter with a gold tension ring - the watch came in both steel and gold plated versions and yours is the gold (I think, sometimes hard to tell in photos...)

A full list of the correct parts can be found in Jules borel’s watch parts database here: LINK

The parts number for the bracelet is stamped into the end links, but you won’t find a supplier for bracelet parts if you want a new link or two to make it fit your wrist, except for eBay... these come up every now and again and shouldn’t cost the earth (especially in gold - usually cheaper than steel).

The Seiko price seems reasonable, can’t recommend a good independent shop near you (being in Australia) but I’m sure others can.

I have the steel blue dialled version which belongs directly to my grandad! My answer to the bracelet links was to put it on a NATO...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm kind of shocked SeikoUSA services vintage watches. Has anyone sent them anything, because that's a reasonable price. So long as they don't ruin it by putting non-vintage dials and the like on it (Like Rolex is rumored to have done).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alex,
Thank you for the speedy reply!
I feel you are correct and I am already sliding down the slope...haha.
Have spent most of my weekend on this site and its links and being drawn deeper and deeper into the world of SEIKO. Very interesting.

A just went over the bracelet several times and only find these marks on the clasp:
Base Metal Tops

Stainless Steel Back
JAPAN B (or possible "8"?)

I did find the Boley watch parts guide online, but was nervous I had used it or identified my watch incorrectly.
Boley suggests this crystal: 300T15ANS0

The watch back states my 7006 is Water Resistant, so my concern was around understanding if the listed parts were the right type based on the crystal guide I read here on SCWF.

Thanks for the info and encouragement!
Regards,
--Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: SeikoUSA quote.
I used their on-line form, provided the case number and model number, and the returned a standard fee of $145.
Planning to follow up with them by phone to see what is included and the details.
Will let the group know.

Thanks!
Regards,
--Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what the SEIKO USA Service web site includes in the "Movement Service" for a '7006' Caliber watch:

What does the movement service include?

• Complete service of the watch movement.*
  • Fix or replace necessary movement parts.
  • Replacement of gaskets and water resistance testing.**
  • Replacement of either battery, ion cell, or rechargeable battery (depending on quartz caliber).
  • Necessary lubrication.
  • Timing adjustments and accuracy testing to caliber specifications.
  • Cleaning of case and band.
*Please know that service for older, discontinued calibers may not be possible if movement parts are no longer available. Final determination will be made upon watchmaker inspection.
**Due to the condition of the case and discontinuation of gaskets for some older dive models, water resistance can not be guaranteed.

The following calibers and collections can not be serviced locally and must be sent to Japan for movement service:
1BXX 4SXX 5R86 7B24 7B25 7R87 9S25 9R86 9R96 9T82 S760 S770 S771 6SXX
6L35
All Credor models.
All Galante models.
Repair estimate for these calibers and collections will be communicated to you once we receive pricing information from Japan.
Estimated lead time is 5-8 weeks after estimate approval.
Additional shipping and customs charges will apply.
Guarantee

We offer a twelve month service guarantee for Seiko watches and a six month service guarantee for Pulsar watches. Should your watch fail within this period of time we will repair and/or replace any necessary parts to correct the fault as identified by our watchmakers. This guarantee does not cover normal wear and tear or damage caused by accident or neglect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Group,
I phoned SEIKO USA Service Center in New Hampshire today.

Here is what I discovered:
-They do no buffing or polishing of anything. (I'm OK with this and its my preference).
-They clean everything.
-The Movement Service is a total "tear down" and rebuilt; worn parts are replaced.
-Only SEIKO parts are used. (They do not use third party parts and did not confirm they use "Vintage" or "Old Store Stock" parts. "We use only SEIKO parts")
-The cost is ~$140.
-Yes, vintage SEIKO watches are accepted (7006-7119 is on the list!)
-No, crystals/glass are not replaced or polished.
-Yes, all the gaskets are replaced.
-If you want the crystal/glass replaced, the cost is an additional $40.
-Yes, they will resize the bracelet by adding links. Price to be determined at time of maintenance/repair and availability of parts.

Regards,
--Matt

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Hi Group,
I phoned SEIKO USA Service Center in New Hampshire today.

Here is what I discovered:
-They do no buffing or polishing of anything. (I'm OK with this and its my preference).
-They clean everything.
-The Movement Service is a total "tear down" and rebuilt; worn parts are replaced.
-Only SEIKO parts are used. (They do not use third party parts and did not confirm they use "Vintage" or "Old Store Stock" parts. "We use only SEIKO parts")
-The cost is ~$140.
-Yes, vintage SEIKO watches are accepted (7006-7119 is on the list!)
-No, crystals/glass are not replaced or polished.
-Yes, all the gaskets are replaced.
-If you want the crystal/glass replaced, the cost is an additional $40.
-Yes, they will resize the bracelet by adding links. Price to be determined at time of maintenance/repair and availability of parts.

Regards,
--Matt

Considering that is a Seiko service center that is incredibly cheap :)

Sad they don't do even a light buff / case clean etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am getting the feeling that is so...a pretty great deal for a complete rebuild, cleaning, and crystal replacement (~185 + shipping).

RE: the bracelet...what is a good price to expect for adding a few links?

Is it possible to identify the bracelet and buy links elsewhere?
It seems to me that a new clasp/closure would work equally well, but I am not sure if that is even possible.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I am getting the feeling that is so...a pretty great deal for a complete rebuild, cleaning, and crystal replacement (~185 + shipping).

RE: the bracelet...what is a good price to expect for adding a few links?

Is it possible to identify the bracelet and buy links elsewhere?
It seems to me that a new clasp/closure would work equally well, but I am not sure if that is even possible.

They're incredibly unlikely to have links for a bracelet that old. You could have a clasp extension added (they're unlikely to have that too) if you need extra length.

If the clasp catch has worn you could probably find a replacement age appropriate clasp in better condition and replace it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you purchase different size clasps? It seems to me that the clasp catch is rather short compared to the two other stainless pieces that make up the three piece folding clasp. (I'll have to post a picture)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Gang,
She returns home to the factory service today...will let you know how it goes!
Thanks,
--Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All,
So, 7006 was returned by Seiko USA on 5/20. I was somewhat disappointed in that they did not clean the case and band to the level I anticipated, but it was indeed cleaned. They said they could no longer source links or parts for the band/bracelet. Nor could they replace the crystal as no longer stocked.

Spoke to Seiko USA by phone and knew that the bracelet could not be serviced. Did not expect the crystal would be excluded though. However, I got very lucky and found an exact match on Ebay. Won the auction and it also arrived on the same day. So was able to add a few links to my bracelet and it just fits.

Wore the watch seven days and it has an accuracy of +12 per day on average. (Interestingly, it was +9 the first two days and then settled on +12 daily by end of one week). Shelved it and discovered a reserve capacity of ~47.5H. 47H, 37M, 7S to be precise.

Happy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts