The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum today !
I have 2 Japanese watches that I bought when I lived in Tokyo during the '70s and '80s.
- an automatic "date" Grand Seiko of some flavor with a non-Seiko stainless band
- an automatic 21 jewels Citizen 150M diving watch that I used to regularly wear.

Both have been stored since the early '90s in a box of stuff that I recently opened. At first with a few shakes then both ran and then stopped.

However I put them on and I think both lost about 5 min. in the first hour. But I took them to work at the office and now the Seiko is keeping pretty good time (9 hours running so far). The Citizen is ruining about a minute and a half slow over that same time.

I'll see how the Citizen is doing tomorrow .... see if they both run all night while sitting on the dresser.

Question: Is it likely either needs cleaning? I phoned a couple of watch repair places and it looks like it cost about Cdn$300 to get a proper servicing on the Seiko. Did not ask about the Citizen.

One place's gentleman said:
a) they would be subject to more "wear" if not cleaned and re-lubed.
b) that basically they take the whole watch apart and re-assemble when doing this cleaning/re-lubing.

Make sense?

Thanks,

Ron
Edmonton, Alberta

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Welcome.

Yes it's a good idea to maintain your watches. Lubricants can dry and dirt and grime and grit can eat away at pivots causing wear leading to replacement.

Be nice to see the watches you mention. I'm intrigued as to what the citizen looks like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update:
- both watches continued running overnight on dresser
- but the Seiko stopped about 10:35am or so ... the Citizen kept going
- the Citizen is about 6 1/2 minutes slow now
- have reset the Seiko and we'll see how it goes.

I got a call back from a 3rd watch place that did not pick up the phone when I called yesterday for cleaning quotes. The gentleman said that there were "many movements" (I had mentioned Grand Seiko at least twice in my voice message) and if I brought it in he could give me a free estimate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts