The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Long time lurker and fan of the mods i see on this site, so just before xmas i decided i would take the plunge and embark my very first mod on an SKX007 i had lying around due to running fast after an ill-fitted springbar popped and the watch went down a flight of stairs.

So a little xmas present to myself was to purchase all the tools and equipment needed to undertake the Nicholas Hacko DIY 7s26 project, as well as a few mod parts from Jake B including a smoked superdome sapphire kit with smoked 60 minute bezel, Arrownaut Vintage Superluminova C1 hour and minute hands, with arrow end (white) seconds hands to (hopefully?) match. I also have a friend Cerakoting the case, crown and bezel in graphite black.

So my question to all those with more mod experience than myself is; What are some tips you would give a first time modder? What are some things you wish you had been told instead of learning the hard way?

i figured it would be better to come here and ask before i start to increase my chances of successfully completing the mod without damaging anything! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My two top tips are (i) use as few AM parts as possible, you'll get a better result with genuine seiko parts and (ii) start by choosing the dial you want to use and then pick the other parts to go with it.

Good luck and don't forget to show us the results!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. The only AM parts im using at the moment are the hands set and superdome sapphire from DAGAZ, so i'm hoping they will be a good fit.

i had originally planned on an AM all black stealth dial, however i decided on keeping the original dial as i actually quite like it so i will save the stealth dial for a later project.

My only concerns at the moment are potential tolerance issues with the cerakoting, as my friend has only ever coated firearms, and whether or not i have steady enough hands to successfully fit the hands set without bending them (i bent the original hour hand during removal)

I just had a call a few hours ago telling me the case, bezel, and crown had been "painted" and were sitting in the oven, so i am excited to see how the graphite black cerakote comes out!

I'll be sure to post pics once i'm done :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Look forward to your results was all insides cerekoted threads etc? Thinking about doing a diver like this and match a few pistol and make it my range watch!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd say get your working area nice and tidy and then take everything nice and slowly. One drink steadies your hand, two is probably too many.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well great to have you with us...for me...i love using original parts in new ways and you have to have a clean workspace for sure...total organization is key...very good magnifying lamp...good quality tools...and patience...lots of patience....and always remember...if it does not work...don't let it get to you...step away ..clear your head and start over...can't wait to see some pics too...if you need anything all you have to do is ask

1 - 7 of 7 Posts