The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SCWF!
Im a newbie to watch collecting and my first Seiko purchase was a vintage Seiko 6139-7100 helmet. The beautiful design had really caught my eye.
Possibly foolheartedly, I bought one off of ebay with a faded dial and tachymeter ring.

So I come before you Seiko lords.. to save my purchase (and save me from my wife).. Could anyone offer a website or place to find parts for this watch besides Ebay? The ebay dials for sale don't look "right"..

Is there anything else I should be looking out for or pick up for it? Ie. gaskets?

Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Craftsman
3,890 Posts
Welcome to the Madness.......uhhh, I mean Forum.

You'll want new pusher, crown, and case back gaskets for sure. The crystal gaskets usually stay soft, pliable, and reusable.

Check out Seikosis on the bay. He has some quality reproductions when it comes to dials and bezels.

Tom

·
Registered
912 Posts
Where are you?
Oh yeah and.... welcome!

So it looks like you've just got your first Seiko 6139..............;]
Unfortunately you've fallen into a trap we all (definitely myself included) have fallen into. ebay sellers can make a watch look appealing and like a good buy, but doesn't always work out that way when you start to see what they have done to it.....

You would do well to speak to Mr. Stefan (SeikoChrono here on SCWF, schilachi52 on ebay). He is our local Seiko parts hero and fountain of knowledge.

Good luck with your Seiko future!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Welcome to the SCWF asylum!

Don't forget if you made your payment using PayPal you can put up a fight for 6 months from when you done the deal as long as payment was not a gift I believe. I let some nasty ******* get away with selling me a bitsa and I regret letting him get away with it.... Sod it after writing this I'm starting a case as it's not been 6 months yet!!! Anyway you have rights use them! Then put a wanted ad up on this forum to see if anyone has any nice examples. I think I know someone not far from this post who might well have a nearly mint white one unless you've flogged it already Tom? :grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Madness.......uhhh, I mean Forum.

You'll want new pusher, crown, and case back gaskets for sure. The crystal gaskets usually stay soft, pliable, and reusable.

Check out Seikosis on the bay. He has some quality reproductions when it comes to dials and bezels.

Tom
Thanks!
Should I just mail Seikosis about dials? He doesn't seem to have any listed. As you can see in my picture.. its pretty badly faded at the 6oclock/sub-dial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you?
Oh yeah and.... welcome!

So it looks like you've just got your first Seiko 6139..............;]
Unfortunately you've fallen into a trap we all (definitely myself included) have fallen into. ebay sellers can make a watch look appealing and like a good buy, but doesn't always work out that way when you start to see what they have done to it.....

You would do well to speak to Mr. Stefan (SeikoChrono here on SCWF, schilachi52 on ebay). He is our local Seiko parts hero and fountain of knowledge.

Good luck with your Seiko future!
Thanks for the leads! I will definitely be looking them up :)
I actually haven't received the watch yet.. so I'm hoping the Helmet is in decent shape. I thought I have done my homework.. but I am by no means a watch expert. Hope to learn a lot in this forum!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Welcome to SCWF.

The 7100 Helmet is a barnacle in disguise but grows on you. The case is truly lovely in ex factory condition with radial machined finishes and sharp creases to the sides. Unfortunately the cases seem to suffer from wear and over polishing.

I agree with Tom you should check the gaskets and replace then if necessary for the future long tern operation of the pushers and damp proofing.

I notice the pushers look too long so they may be new aftermarket and may have serviceable gaskets.

The hour/minute hands should be chrome with black tips and the chrono hands black.

If you do not mind fitting aftermarket parts mountapo_merchant has a dial, tachymeter ring and hands in stock. Some people do not rate him but I compared his dial to the original and it is a very good copy but you will have to paint the indices black and add lume yourself to be 100% original looking.

The trouble with buying watches like this is it costs as much as a decent original one by the time you have added the cost of parts and a watchmakers time if you can not fit them yourself.

If you fancy fitting a reproduction fishbone bracelet Seikosis sells these I have one and it is good and finishes off the look of the watch.

This is mine fitted with mountapo dial (indices painted etc), and hands and a Seikosis bracelet.

Good luck and I hope it pans out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to SCWF.

The 7100 Helmet is a barnacle in disguise but grows on you. The case is truly lovely in ex factory condition with radial machined finishes and sharp creases to the sides. Unfortunately the cases seem to suffer from wear and over polishing.

I agree with Tom you should check the gaskets and replace then if necessary for the future long tern operation of the pushers and damp proofing.

I notice the pushers look too long so they may be new aftermarket and may have serviceable gaskets.

The hour/minute hands should be chrome with black tips and the chrono hands black.

If you do not mind fitting aftermarket parts mountapo_merchant has a dial, tachymeter ring and hands in stock. Some people do not rate him but I compared his dial to the original and it is a very good copy but you will have to paint the indices black and add lume yourself to be 100% original looking.

The trouble with buying watches like this is it costs as much as a decent original one by the time you have added the cost of parts and a watchmakers time if you can not fit them yourself.

If you fancy fitting a reproduction fishbone bracelet Seikosis sells these I have one and it is good and finishes off the look of the watch.

This is mine fitted with mountapo dial (indices painted etc), and hands and a Seikosis bracelet.

Good luck and I hope it pans out for you.
Thanks for listening and the advice Polly! Your watch looks really sharp. Hopefully I can get it close to that shape. I like the fishbone band.. Im getting one as well!
As you recommended, I will be getting mountapo parts.
Unfortunately, the watch is sounding like its going to be quite an adventure now.. :undecided:

The mountapo dial appears to have black indicators on his website.. but silver on his ebay listing. Should i assume they will come silver? Have you gone thru the process of getting them painted black? If so.. how would I go about it? (sorry. i am a newb to watches).

Id like your opinion on my red hands. Are they factory? Ive seen helmets with yellow and even neon orange second hands.. but never red. Im not sure if I even like the red as it looks faded to pink. lol. I have seriously contemplated on getting it changed. Would it be a huge ordeal to get them off and spray paint them?

Sorry for all the questions. Anybody else is free to chime in! Thanks..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts