The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering a new watch for awhile now. Like many, I have had my eye on a MM300/SBDX017 for the last couple years. However, I never loved the handset, and I wasn't sure about the solid caseback and unadjusted 8L35. Then Seiko drops the SBC061/SPB077 at Basel this year. Very similar case to the MM300, but with a modern handset (which I like much better, to be honest) and a sapphire crystal. Obviously the 6R15 vs the 8L35 is a factor, but the screwdown caseback vs the solid caseback means that the SBDC061/SPB077 can be adjusted if it is too far out. Then, for something different....I have always liked a Tuna. The SBBN031 is an incredible watch! It has the 7C46, modern handset, and DiaShield coating. However, it has a Hardlex crystal. Overall, I'm more of a quartz fan over a mechanical fan. I know that puts me in the minority of the WIS community. However, my 9F83, 9943, 7548, and 7A28 have convinced me that quartz is amazing.
I'm looking for advice to choose between a SBDX017, the upcoming SBDC061/SPB077, and the SBBN031. Let me hear your thoughts.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hmm, well it's hard to offer an opinion on what YOU would prefer.

If Seiko doesn't have a factory offering that is precisely what you want, then perhaps doing a 'mod' might be the way to go.

If you like Tunas you could also consider a TST from TheTigerUK

·
Registered
546 Posts
The tuna isn't really comparable to the other two. But if hardlex is the only thing holding you back then just get it and swap in a sapphire.

For the other two I like the SBDC061 for the dial but it's a bit much for a 6r15, no?

I love quartzes of all varieties! But I'm not one to be an accuracy nut. But if you have a big collection batteries become a problem. But for mech and auto you just pick it up and give it a shake.

·
Special Member
4,676 Posts
They are all good choices.
Tunas are great watches though, asking for a fight tough looking and built to take a beating. If the mm is really being discontinued and if you like it....
So, maybe put whatever is readily available (or will be) down the list.
Hind sight is 20/20.
Keep us updated to what you decide to purchase,.... first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My amazing, loving wife just ordered a SBBN031 for me for Father's Day!!!!
It would have been impossible to hide a $1000 purchase from me, so she had to tell me. However, I will wait until Father's Day to open it and be "surprised" when my Kiddos give it to me. I'm soooo pumped!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bleedin' heck ! Perhaps I'll have some children if Father's Day can be that good... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the SPB077 and love it. Just the right balance of retro styling for me. Lots of people have commented on it as it has a lot of presence but wears well for a big watch. I wore daily for a year and there is barely a mark on the bracelet and the crystal is mint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts