The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading back to Alaska to work. I'll be in Nome which is very close to the Arctic Circle. Temperatures will be down to as low as -60 degrees. I decided to buy a Citizen Eco-Drive 8700 to use while working so I don't expose my vintage watches to extreme temperatures.

Sent from my 'rooted' Samsung S4

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. But I won't be exposed to long. However, with the strong winds and wet snow I sure as hell don't want to risk exposing the older ones.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you have enough daylight hours to keep charged.. Citizen did bring out a hybrid eco/kinetic for use in places near the Artic circle..
Actually I charged it for 4 hours at home before I left using an LED light then 3 hours using the light from my phone and then 4 hours when arrived in Alaska using an LED book light. I am curious about that hybrid though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Congrats on your new watch. I have this model and I love it. Keeps excellent time being quartz eco-drive.

Good luck in AK. I spent a year in Greenland (150 miles inside arctic circle) many, many years ago. Be sure to take your long-johns. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Congrats on your new watch. I have this model and I love it. Keeps excellent time being quartz eco-drive.

Good luck in AK. I spent a year in Greenland (150 miles inside arctic circle) many, many years ago. Be sure to take your long-johns.

I've got all the proper cold weather gear. That's a nice one! Which model is that?

·
Registered
812 Posts
from my very cold Minnesota days I would recommend keeping the watch in an inner pocked when you really don't need to know the time every minute. batteries do not do well in cold the colder they get the less power reserves they will have and the harder to charge. Also lubricants will get more like heavy syrup. I know in the old days if I were to take my Leica camera they would over hall it first and give it special lubricants to withstand the cold without getting to thick. I am thinking there may be some special cold weather lubes for watches as well but the more experienced here will know about that

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will definetly be bundled up along with my extremities. I just didn't want to take a chance with a vintage and hard to replace watch from my collection. This watch is really starting to grow on me and now I catch myself looking at radio controlled eco-drives.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I had near-exact that watch for a while. Bought right here from Tiger.

Flipped it and broke even. Nice watch, wasn't crazy about the wrist balance.

-60 deg ? I don't care if that F or C, too dang cold for me !!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just finished reading "Cold", by polar explorer Ranulph Fiennes. Interesting read. Accurate time was very important in 24 hour days and nights. He only wore autos as any battery operated watch failed at that sort of temperature. Autos with special low temp lubricants were the go, he wore I Rolex I believe, specially prepared for his expeditions.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just finished reading "Cold", by polar explorer Ranulph Fiennes. Interesting read. Accurate time was very important in 24 hour days and nights. He only wore autos as any battery operated watch failed at that sort of temperature. Autos with special low temp lubricants were the go, he wore I Rolex I believe, specially prepared for his expeditions.
Now that is pretty bad ass!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had near-exact that watch for a while. Bought right here from Tiger.

Flipped it and broke even. Nice watch, wasn't crazy about the wrist balance.

-60 deg ? I don't care if that F or C, too dang cold for me !!!
It hasn't gotten that cold yet. I least I can take cabs to and from work. I'm just right around the corner, walking distance, from the grocery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In an ideal world it would be great if you could take my monster and 007 there to test them in the extreme temperatures! Personally I think they would perform really well if worn on the wrist so getting body heat.
I agree with the mechanical comment, batteries tend to fail at low temperatures.
Looking forward to seeing some photos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts