The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased 2 watches off ebay from sellers in India. How can I tell if the faces and are original? They were inexpensive and nice looking.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you like them and find them appealing, just enjoy them! Otherwise research the case number and see if it has been documented in catalogues, forums, Google image search etc and compare. Sometimes fakes, and a lot come from India, are fairly obvious by how poor the dial looks.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
1.ask for pictures of the caseback
2.take down the 8-digit number (two sets of four digits separated by a hyphen)
3.use this code and do a google search
4.See the images that pop up. Do they resemble your watch? It's perfectly normal for a seiko with the same code (by the way the first four digits denote the movement/engine number and the last four digits denote the case number) to have different dials. Do you see one that resembles your watch?
5.Check the online resource which hosts the image. Is it a credible forum of knowledgeable Seiko enthusiasts, that is, one you can trust to know an original Seiko from a genuine Feiko?

Lastly, don't be shy. Post pictures of the watches you are interested in, if you can grab them. Ask for members' opinions here. I have started many threads here doing exactly that, and member Jim W (and others too numerous to mention) has steered me away from fakes and otherwise-genuine Seikos with aftermarket parts

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I've purchased 2 watches off ebay from sellers in India. How can I tell if the faces and are original? They were inexpensive and nice looking.

If they were inexpensive and colorful, I'd say repainted dial without looking at the pictures ;) There are some out there with their original dial, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have looked hundreds of Enicar watches listed in India. Over 90% were repainted dials. One Enicar I found and bought with an original dial had three lug pin holes jammed with broken pins. This was not mentioned; I had to drill them out.
The movement ID number was from an automatic watch, yet this was a manual wind. Quite a lot of parts-bin assembly goes on in India. Be prepared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts