The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. I'm new to the forum, although occasionally I stumble upon informative threads here when I search about Seiko. This is my first post, and I joined mainly because just recently I became a proud owner of a 6139-6002 blue chronograph (my first chronograph watch). It's also nice to be part of a community with like-minded individuals. I did a lot of searching, not just about the watch but also about Colonel Pogue. I know that by joining here, more information could be had.

Anyway, I would like to share my history with Seiko. My small watch collection always has at least one Seiko in it, I started with a SRP775, moved on to other smaller divers (SKX013, then to a modified Blue Lagoon styled Slim 6309), came back to Turtle ownership with a SRP773, sold that and wore a SKX007, but then eventually I sold the 007 as well. For a few months I didn't have a Seiko until just recently, with my newly acquired 6139-6002.

Before I move on to my recent purchase, I guess I should also mention that my girlfriend owns a few Seiko pieces too. She currently has a SKX013 (the one that I owned before), and a 7546-8010 SilverWave Quartz (which I originally owned too but I have since given it to her because she adores the thing). Here are some photos of the SilverWave, it was also recently overhauled and since then I have replaced the strap with a Hirsch Boston in brown.

Right, on to my recent acquisitions. I say acquisitions because along with the 6139, I also bought for my girlfriend her BMBY 7002-7001 (or SDS001J as the seller advertised it as), both from the same seller. The 6139 watch head was advertised as being all original and unrestored, and I have no reason to doubt the seller as he's well known for being trustworthy, although I would appreciate some feedback here with regards to the originality of the watch. I will let the pictures do the talking 馃槂

Both watches have been with me for a few days already, and both are running excellent, great time keeping and good power reserve, and the chronograph functions flawlessly. Both of their lumes still glow a bit which surprised me. I don't have concerns with these two, except maybe if there are aftermarket parts installed, although for the 7002 I guess I couldn't complain much as this is a BMBY watch after all. I do think the hands on the 7002 are not original. I plan to put both of these on Uncle Seiko bracelets, the 6139 on an H-link tapered and a Z199 for the 7002 (if it does fit). For now I'm just enjoying the watch, and I really do love this thing, I wear it even when I'm just home 馃槄

I would appreciate some comments or opinions regarding my recent watch purchases. I know that was a lengthy read, but if you did, thanks for reading!

Stay safe all, and best regards.

Craftsman
First off, welcome to the forum. I think you'll soon find that one 6139 is not enough!

Your recent acquisition looks like a great start. I'd say it's an original example from what I can see by the photo's. The crown + stem may have been replaced at some point do to the fact that the crown sticks out a bit from the edge of the case. Originally they were almost flush with the case. When replacing the stem, because it fits several different models, it needs to be "trimmed" to fit the case it's being used on. Is the crown dimpled? It's hard to tell from the photo. Originally they were dimpled but I believe some of the very late production replacement crowns were not.

Enjoy your 6139 and keep us posted on how you're doing. It's a Slippery Slope and there's No End...........:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
First off, welcome to the forum. I think you'll soon find that one 6139 is not enough!

Your recent acquisition looks like a great start. I'd say it's an original example from what I can see by the photo's. The crown + stem may have been replaced at some point do to the fact that the crown sticks out a bit from the edge of the case. Originally they were almost flush with the case. When replacing the stem, because it fits several different models, it needs to be "trimmed" to fit the case it's being used on. Is the crown dimpled? It's hard to tell from the photo. Originally they were dimpled but I believe some of the very late production replacement crowns were not.

Enjoy your 6139 and keep us posted on how you're doing. It's a Slippery Slope and there's No End...........:)
Hi, thanks for the welcome and for the reply. The crown is indeed dimpled, and judging from various 6139 buying guides I saw, I think the distance of the edge of the crown relative to the case in mine is similar to what should be the original, still I could be wrong though.

I really do enjoy the watch, so much so that I wear it all the time even though I don't leave the house 馃槀 can't wait to have it on a proper fitting bracelet.

By the way, as what I've read online, should I leave the chrono running? Since I got the watch the chrono has been running most of the time, I do stop it sometimes though.

Craftsman
It is best to keep the chrono running or left "on" while the watch is stored and not being worn.

Crown shot:

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
It is best to keep the chrono running or left "on" while the watch is stored and not being worn.
I take it the same applies if the watch is being worn?

Here are some shots of the crown in mine. I guess it does stick out a bit more.

Registered
Nice watches. The crown may stick out more due to the length of the stem and how it was cut, a replacement stem may have happened at some point. Leave the chrono running when stored but when wearing it is best to alternate at times so that the fourth wheel can run freely around the staff, otherwise it can become sticky and gunked up. Ideally it should be lubricated. Running with the chrono engaged puts less compression on the spring which can tire it or permanently shape it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Nice watches. The crown may stick out more due to the length of the stem and how it was cut, a replacement stem may have happened at some point. Leave the chrono running when stored but when wearing it is best to alternate at times so that the fourth wheel can run freely around the staff, otherwise it can become sticky and gunked up. Ideally it should be lubricated. Running with the chrono engaged puts less compression on the spring which can tire it or permanently shape it.
Hi, thanks for the reply and for the information.

I was letting the chronograph run ever since I got the watch, although from time to time I do have it stopped for a few seconds to a few minutes a day. Will that be enough or should I have it stopped for a few hours at a time?

Registered
Welcome to Pogue madness. It will slowly eat away at your brain cell by cell. But it鈥檚 fun! You did well with this watch. The blue dial variants tend to be the most original robust. You have to exercise caution going to the gold dials, even more with the silver variants. There are other several non-Pogue (-600x) variants of the 6139 that are terrific watches for the money. My personal favorites are the -60xx variants like the -6015/6010 with the blue dial. These are reasonably available in original condition. One of mine is here. Please keep us updated on your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Hi, thanks for the reply and for the information.

I was letting the chronograph run ever since I got the watch, although from time to time I do have it stopped for a few seconds to a few minutes a day. Will that be enough or should I have it stopped for a few hours at a time?

Yeh that is likely fine, maybe a few hours wouldn't hurt. Ideally you would do this after full service where the chronograph wheel has been cleaned and lubricated. A good indication of how gunked up the fourth wheel is in its staff is amplitude change when the chrono is stopped, but you would need a timegrapher to see this. Cheers!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh that is likely fine, maybe a few hours wouldn't hurt. Ideally you would do this after full service where the chronograph wheel has been cleaned and lubricated. A good indication of how gunked up the fourth wheel is in its staff is amplitude change when the chrono is stopped, but you would need a timegrapher to see this. Cheers!
Thanks, I would keep this in mind. It's running excellently, I'm actually surprised with the accuracy and power reserve.

With regards to the dial and hands, there is a noticeable dirt near the tip of the hour hand, plus I think there is dirt (or corrosion?) around the lume of both hands and also around the day/date window area. Could it be removed if I had the watched cleaned along with a service?

Registered
Not sure. It looks like corrosion to the plating and I'm not 100% on this but it could have already been relumed. Not a bad job, but there are signs for me that the dial originally would have had more blackening or darkened lume due to these areas of corrosion, on the lume hour markers and the handset, as the lume itself looks clean, but applied rather thinly and maybe a tad too green compared to original. Again not sure, you would have to do a glow test and if it glows bright and for a long time it could well be a relume, or no glow. Originals glow somewhat bright initially but die pretty quickly to a dull glow to nothing fairly soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Originals glow somewhat bright initially but die pretty quickly to a dull glow to nothing fairly soon.
It is like that with mine. I was actually surprised by the lume, as I didn't expect a watch this old for the lume to still glow, although initial glow is not as bright as a modern Seiko divers.

I've never had a watch that had reapplied lume so I'm not sure, although the lume on my watch has this puffy sort of look, not as smooth as those I see from vintage 6309s though.

Again, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts