The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have collected watches for quite a few years now.
Mainly collect Bullova Accutron or other tuning fork derivatives.

Have a couple of automatics but not in the Seiko brand.

Picked up a nice Seiko Auto diving watch last week.
Model # SRP315.

I'm informed it's know as a Halloween monster but can not find any official reference to this. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428196069.241672.jpg

Very impressed with the quality of such a bargain priced watch.

I'm figuring there may be many more seikos in my near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just ordered a 315! Great looking watch, currently wearing the Orange Monster (which is the same). Photos too follow when it arrives.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome to the forum....come on in....Nice watch to start your collection . I don't have any accutrons or tuning fork models , but I do have some electric and electronic models such as Seiko , Citizen , Timex , Elgin , Hamilton and maybe others . All before quartz I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome.
I wonder if I could ask advice ref a bracelet?
I have ordered a NATO style black and Orange but would also like to pick up a suitable Seiko bracelet.

I measured the distance between the lugs, 20mm.
Any recommendations as to what might look good ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I am also a huge Bulova fan starting with the late 1930's and I collect some right up until the early 60's. They are fantastic watches with very good quality Swiss movements. Most of the movements are a pleasure to work on and there is a lot of interchangeability between models which is always great.
I never liked the direction they went with the Accutron tuning fork powered watches.

I know these are some of the most collectable Bulova watches but I find the case and dial designs very unattractive once they started using the 214 and 218 tuning fork movements. When I would buy Bulova watch lots the first thing I would do is put all of the tuning fork models right back on eBay and sell them off.
I would do the same when buying lots of Bulova movements. I would pick out all the 214 and 218D movements and relist them. They made some really beautiful watches in the late 50's with beautiful dial designs and classic case designs that were typically 10K gold plated and some even 14K rose gold rolled plate which is a thicker type of gold plating Bulova used in the 40's and 50's on their higher end models.
For me it Seiko then Bulova and maybe a Seiko spin of brand now and then and a few older Timex watches that have a nice dial design here and there for fun.

Michael

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an accutron as well. What do you use as a power source?

View attachment 163338

Nice classic looking Accutron.
I use Accucels for these with great success the 344s ft both 218s and 242 accuquartz.

I admire the earlier Bulovas too but only have 1 in my collection, a manual wind dress watch.

Would like one of the Bulova auto Chronos one day but a little pricy.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Value for money, you cannot beat the SKX 007 /009. They are available for about 110 USD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still loving this seiko. Bee a couple of weeks and it's about 10 secs a week fast. I can live with that.
Replaced the strap. Just for variety.
May have to pick another seiko up in the near future.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429399357.440926.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the world of SEIKO.

That's a nice looking 2nd GEN monster.

10 secs/week is actually good comparing it to its factory specs.

Enjoy your SEIKO.....careful...this might start an addiction :grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts