The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions vary on this watch, and my reaction when first seeing pictures of these was "no way." At one point I owned (new) one of the even more limited Black Manta Ray divers, and while the manta ray dial was truly appealing, I always had a problem with the hands and basically I never got used to the big black hunk of metal on my arm. It's long gone.

Recently I've felt a need for a colored dial to add to my mix and I kept looking at this one, wondering how crazy it was they actually produced it. After a while, that quirkiness became appealing to me so I searched a bit to find one not too insanely priced though it no doubt cost more than its original price from, what, 2005? I would easily call it 95% (any defects visible are not on the watch). Really one of those watches hard to capture well in photographs (impossible to see the wave pattern on the dial in this one).

My new (to me) ALBA Ji Dai (999 made):

And my old Black Manta Ray (400 made):

As far as I know the only difference between the Ji Dai and other Manta Rays are the dial and hands, as well as that the Ji Dai comes with a sapphire crystal.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
It's an odd one this, a Thai limited edition watch with a Japanese name and inscription.
The two characters on the caseback" 時代" say Ji Dai in Japanese. If you translate that, "a time; a period; an era"

·
Registered
61 Posts
:eusa_clap:I really like that dial...guess a yellow dialed watch would be a great addition to my collection so if you ever want to get rid of it...;)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The Ji-Dai is an acquired taste but does have a distinctive look.

I have one as well as it's brother the Manta ray.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have one of these (borrowed pic) but I find the blue wave dial version intriguing as well. Though not described as a limited edition, one wonders how many of these were made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum - have spent the last 12 years loitering and posting elsewhere.

I purchased my Alba LE in 2005 from Seiya-Japan trying to quell my lust for a Yellow Monster I thought I could never find or afford - and wouldn't you know it - I acquired one shortly after the Alba purchase. It quickly faded to the rear of the watch case un-sized and unworn. Still a pretty watch (if you enjoy yellow dials like I do) and it'll remain in my collection.

The 7S26 is a pretty standard movement - but the watch is solidly made and as mechanically sound as any of the other Seiko divers of the period.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I got a Manta Ray too... only Alba I have and it's lovely. I also have a few of the same watch by Pulsar. I remember picking these up for between £40 & £50 ... and the quality is excellent. They are almost like a smoother Samurai. Nice watches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts