The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was younger my father gave me this watch, being young and dumb I wore in skateboarding and scratched the crystal face . Now that Im older I love this watch and want to get the lens replaced , but dont know about how to do this . the watch it self still keeps perfect time. Any help would greatly be appreciated .
P.S. what is the value of this watch

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
IIRC Swedefreak and maybe Peter Khun (though don't quote me on him) had various NOS crystals of this kind. No clue on whether they had the specific one that goes with your watch, but it's worth asking them. They are both members here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 1983, in Heidelberg, Germany, I lost a watch almost identical to that one. The difference was mine was two-tone, gold bezel around the crystal, and two-tone bracelet, and a face that was an irridrescent sort of brownish gold. It wasn't until 2008, after years of looking in every pawn shop and every jewelery store that sold any used watches anywhere I ever was, and searching online since about '96, that I finally found one as a result of a permanent search I had running on eBay for "Seiko faceted". Attempting to restore it after I bought it, it took me another 7 or 8 months to find (online) some jeweler in the midwest who had not only a new gold bezel but an entire case, and crystal, and watch face and hands. The only thing missing was the movement, stem, and crown. And he even had most of the two-tone band, about 14 links all told, and the deployment clasp, everything in mint condition. After having such a hard time replacing that watch, I figured it must have been a model that didn't sell very well. Then just last month I came across its near twin, again on eBay, the only difference being a different color face and the fact that it was a quartz, not an automatic. I have to wonder, if in fact it wasn't a big seller (I could be wrong, and maybe I just had real bad luck for about 25 years), why would Seiko have used the same case, face, and crystal design in a quartz? Or was the quartz first, and the automatic an unsuccessful offshoot? All I know for sure is that the original one I had was new in the '70s.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
tmacar. If you look in our forum archive, you will find a section dedicated to Ads and catalogs. in there there is a vintage catalog section that contains PDF copies of old seiko catalogs from the late 60's to the mid 80's. have a look in there, you just might find your watches. also please post some pics of your watch and give us a little review, your 25 years search sounds like it would make for a wonderful story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Somethin' ain't right. The '69 catalog loads fine. When I close it and try loading the '73 US Market, it starts to load the '69 again. When I try to load ANY other catalog, it opens a tab and shows the "working" icon, then it switches to the "done" icon, but all I actually have is a totally blank page.

I tried closing and then opening the browser and even restarting the whole system, got the exact same results. ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts