The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New member here. I revieved my Sumo from Higuchi today along with a mm clasp and AR sapphire from yobokies. Any doubts I had about the narrow lug width were instantly gone. It is perfect, reminiscent of their vintage divers. This watch doesn't look bad from any angle. I was also iffy on the bezel font but seeing it in real life it doesn't look as large as in photos, particularly close-ups. It really suits the watch. After 24hrs against the atomic clock it is +/- 0 seconds! The mm clasp is much shorter then the stock clasp. I had to remove only 2 links for my 6.75" wrist. The lume is amazing and I believe better than my monster. It glows brighter for longer. Maybe it has to do with the ss framed markers.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Very cool! Why don't you post a blow-by-blow when you change the crystal to sapphire? No one has done that yet and it would be a valuable guide to those other Sumo owners, like me, waiting for someone else to take the lead. Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are so right about the 20mm bracelet. I prefer it to the wider bands (22mm) much more comfortabe and it looks right on the Sumo. The domed crystal and lume are outstanding.

I miss mine, sold but not forgotten,

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I keep drooling over it...
But I wish it had 22mm lugs.

As long as you like yours, thats what counts!
Congrats on the Sumo and Welcome! :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
For a while, I was thinking the same about the lugs. But I think, Seiko got it right this time. The Sumo is a large watch with long lugs. With even wider lugs it would have appeared huuuuge (imho that is, off course).

Menno

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Nice!

Did you install the clasp backwards for a better fit? I noticed the extension is on the 12 o'clock side.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
311 Posts
No, the bracelets appear to be the same but they aren't. I while back, Harold was selling them both. Perhaps you can find a pic of them with both shown side by side. And I remember there was a significant price difference between them.

Menno

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
codecheck said:
I did not realize that the Sumo and the 300 Marine Master have the same bracelet except for the clasp. Is that correct?
David
They have a similar appearance, but they are different. For one, the end links on the MM bracelet are attached with pins (same as the other links). The end links on the "Sumo" bracelet are attached with a spring bar in the traditional fashion. The "collars" that hold the pins in the MM bracelet are located in the center link, while the collars in the "Sumo" bracelet fit onto the ends of the pins.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the comments guys. Gamboge, I will not be doing the crystal swap myself. I'm going to take it to my local watch guy some time next week. Codecheck, as others have stated the bracelets are different. I put the clasp from the marine master on the sumo bracelet. Docrwm, I got the clasp from Higuchi and the crystal from Harold. Selym, the clasp is on the right way and the extension is on the 6 o'clock side. The pic must be playing tricks. GasGuzz, my date is perfectly alinged. I beleive Seiko addressed this issue a while back. Anyone who is on the fence with regards to the lugs should really take the leap. I was weary at first but wouldn't have it any other way now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts