The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been kicking around an idea for the last few years and finally got some time to do some graphics. I thought it would be cool, rather than just having the plain black strap for the GL831, that I add some imagery. Some engraving of patterns or design of some kind. This is the first attempt, but I have more ideas also. Let me know what you think, good or bad. I would love to hear some feedback!
Full Shot Pattern.jpg
Wrist Shot Pattern.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
Hey Larry - I think the design is pretty funky and kind of a throw back to the 60s. And I generally really go for that type of stuff. It's got a "Summer of Love" type vibe to it.

For me personally though, not sure I would go for it. I don't have the right watch that makes this jump out for me.

watching with interest ...

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Well my friend
You know I love most of your offerings
But I think the majority might pass on this one ...
Very cool for the right watch
Love the idea
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John
Is there any Genuine Seiko rubber straps you do not produce from the most popular models?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think this is a very cool idea. But like the others I may not be the one to ask on this idea. It’s not my style that I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UncleSeiko

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I really like this Idea. The tactile wave kind of invites you to feel it. I haven't seen anything else like it.

If it takes off, the Chinese will be making copies in no time.

Larry, this has nothing to do with this topic, but have you ever seen anything resembling the 19mm rubber strap that came on a few of the 1968 Sports Divers?

I've never seen a photo of one. outside of these old catalog scans

They must have all disintegrated.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Respectfully, it has the look of a strip of flat licorice with an island tribal design.

Can't think of a watch that would go with. Thanks, but not for me

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really like the look of it, Larry. It would go well as an alternative on my JDM SRP777, and I would consider buying it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Kudos to you Larry for being innovative. I think either design (including or excluding the vent) works. It all depends on the design. Some continuous designs might best work across the entire length, On the other hand, perhaps incorporating designs and/or emblems similar to what we see on those Olangapo bracelets might work?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
First off, don't listen to me, I voted against your launching the Razorwire as it seemed a bit too "out there". Then I got one andnow I love it. HA !

Again I can't see me wearing it but look, build it and they will come. Surprise me!

Like everyone above has said, cool retro vibe and the stuck in our ways WIS's that we are that make up any watch forum do not represent a cross-section of the masses. Being unique it might sell like hotcakes.

One last thing: I highly suggest it be somewhat thick. The thin (3-4mm) straps doesn't look right on any modern Sumo/Samurai/Turtle/SKX/Etc. Modern watches looking for a mod strap you want it at least 5 mm thick or even thicker. The Crafter Blue CB02 and CB08 are about 7mm thick at the lugs and it really looks great.

No matter when you introduce this or in what format I wish you the best of luck and lots and lots of sales !

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey guys, I have been kicking around an idea for the last few years and finally got some time to do some graphics. I thought it would be cool, rather than just having the plain black strap for the GL831, that I add some imagery. Some engraving of patterns or design of some kind. This is the first attempt, but I have more ideas also. Let me know what you think, good or bad. I would love to hear some feedback!
View attachment 449573 View attachment 449574
Looks great! Any chance of 19/20 mm widths?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Love your stuff, but this isn’t really my cup of tea, TBH. But then again, I am very particular with my bracelets/straps!
Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Not exactly my style, but for what it's worth I do prefer the second option excluding the flat vents and leaving a little border. Instagrammers are going to lineup around the corner to get them to add to their mods.

Rob

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Larry, this has nothing to do with this topic, but have you ever seen anything resembling the 19mm rubber strap that came on a few of the 1968 Sports Divers?

I've never seen a photo of one. outside of these old catalog scans

They must have all disintegrated.
No, never saw that one before. I think you're right, they probably didn't last.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Simpler waves and less circles might be something to try. The border looks better.

While I have your attention, how about a buckle design that has 2 or 3 sets of holes. I've had a 6309 since 1982 and have always been between holes for a good fit. Standard holes are either too tight or too loose. I punched a new hole in between before but that sped up the breaking process. Every once in a blue moon I find one that fits. Currently the Bonneto gets the nod. Your strap is a close second. Because of Japanese rigid standards, every Seiko strap fits the same. Too loose or too tight.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts