The Watch Site banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I read the site TOS and didn't see a rule against posting my own video here. Mods, please remove if it's not allowed.

I recorded a discussion of why I don't think Seiko intends this new Seiko 5 series to be the SKX replacement and what I think the SKX replacement will be like. It's kind of longwinded, but hopefully some of you will find it interesting.

I'm new to the video making process and would appreciate any feedback for improvement. I'm doing this for fun, not to make money. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sorry if I’ve missed it somewhere but where is the official info that says this is a replacement for the SKX?

The SKX is a good value, serious diver’s tool watch that meets ISO requirements for its intended purpose. This new Seiko 5 is for the desk diver that wants the modded skx on a budget. It’s more of a new Seiko sea urchin than a new skx.

IMO there has to be a new proper SKX coming, the market for the SKX has been huge for the good value ISO divers watch market. Seiko wouldn’t just ditch that market.

SKX007 replacements? I don’t think so��
100m water resistant
No ISO rating
No screw in Crown
No Bezel Pip
Open back case

It’s just another Cheap Looking Seiko Diver (is it even a Divers Watch?) And none of them will be on my watch list to own.��
Exactly!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry if I’ve missed it somewhere but where is the official info that says this is a replacement for the SKX?
There was no such official info. What happened was that several insiders, watch dealers, etc, claimed to have word from inside Seiko that SKX production had been discontinued. At the same time, Seiko announced a new line of Seiko 5 watches which look very SKX-like.

Then a lot of people assumed that these were the SKX replacement, and no one from Seiko has refuted this assumption.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I took the plunge just to experience what it is. They have some fine lookers and some seriously odd stuff among the 27 choices.

No screw down crown is fine for me even if it got pulled and goes underwater shouldn't the seal hold in a shower or pool? I'll check out the crown sealing design when it finally arrives.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I took the plunge just to experience what it is. They have some fine lookers and some seriously odd stuff among the 27 choices.

No screw down crown is fine for me even if it got pulled and goes underwater shouldn't the seal hold in a shower or pool? I'll check out the crown sealing design when it finally arrives.
I bought a brand new urchin a few years ago and swam with it a few times and it misted up inside. I’ve been weary about the 100m pseudo divers ever since.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
There was no such official info. What happened was that several insiders, watch dealers, etc, claimed to have word from inside Seiko that SKX production had been discontinued. At the same time, Seiko announced a new line of Seiko 5 watches which look very SKX-like.

Then a lot of people assumed that these were the SKX replacement, and no one from Seiko has refuted this assumption.

Obviously its not a direct SKX replacement for the basic reasons that have been mentioned before...

However give the more than obvious clone look, and timing, it can be considered a close substitute for those who are looking for one.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I'm thinking of buying one too. Which one did you choose?

61 - 68 of 68 Posts