The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
The only news regarding 6r15s I have read recently is about scarcity of them in Japan as we speak. Seiko seems to be having difficulty meeting production quotas for these 6r15 watches (SARBs in particular) for unknown reasons.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Shooot those Carbon Fiber G-Shocks look nice. I like that square case style, i've owned a few of those, they look good on the wrist. The Frogman speaks to me as well. I might be in need of a new G soon. Sorry to go off topic here but that link to Higuchis board got me thinking G-Shock. I initially was curious on the 6R15... Great movement, I love it in the Sumo! :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Chris said:
He might be refering to the new tunas - 6R15. They are not diver's, though. Field master tunas: (drop down the page) http://zazastar.blog8.fc2.com/ (Higuchi's blog).

[/quote]

It looks like yet another parts bin special from the latest batch of pieces being released by seiko. I swear the designers at seiko must be spending way too much time trolling the forums looking at mods, because it really seems like all they are building these days are either warmed over versions of existing designs, or new models based on either Monsters, SKX divers or Tunas (and charging a hefty premium for the privilege). The saddest part is that for some strange reason they won't reissue their most popular vintage divers.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Agreed, Gabe. Pretty disappointing stuff coming out of Tokyo these days. The "General Motors" approach to watch manufacturing is a path that they are best reconsidering before is too late. Unimpressive designs, not much innovation going on and top Dollar asking prices makes you wonder what's going on in Hittori's mind these days?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
IMO, they are just supplying what people seem to respond to. For instance, monsters and tunas are world favorites. That's why you see so many variations. They are capitalizing on the less prone to go south models and accumulate dust on warehouse shelves. There are very innovative models butt ugly outhere, if you ask me. About a month ago there were pics of a new Singapore diver's model that almost made me puke. :(

So to me it's better they keep on betting on the sure shots instead of far-from-seiko-tradition models that are as ugly as the day is long.

They missed the boat not relaunching the 6309-704x, opening up the venue to independent enterpreneurs (sp?) like Noah and Jake with the Tsunami. The same can be said over SKX models. More people buying mods over the stock configurations.

And if you ask me, I'd rather see nice tuna variations all the way instead of new diver's that are disgusting and have a horrible design. Having said that, the tuna design have to be applied in a diver's approach. You don't turn a tuna into a land trekking watch. So I didn't like to see the tuna concept being addapted to a watch that is NOT designed to be a pro diver. That would be the same as addapt a Landmaster case into a 500m pro diver's model with a ceramic bezel but the same crown originally designed to seal a 20 BAR watch only now "sealing" a 500 pro diver's resistance without any additional reinforcement in its structure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts