The Watch Site banner

Should you wear NOS watches?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
32,010 Posts
Personally (if i had any) i would wear them especially at my age, what are they being "saved" for ? wear and enjoy without worry, i want the pleasure for myself.

It was the same when i used to shoot, some guys would buy a new firearm or a vintage one and never bring them down the range to use them for fear of marking them etc, i always used mine and loved them. What happened to the guys who kept them locked away ? the government took them off them so at least i had some pleasure and enjoyment for a few years, they just got to look at them now and again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Always to be worn! I suppose if everyone did this, we would wear them all out, but I will never own a watch I do not regularly wear.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unless you want to build a huge collection of pretty things that just get looked at, I would think that several of those beauties are just begging to be worn!
There was a WIS gtg here in denver last year. About 12 people showed up with a huge assortment of watches. They were nearly all passed from hand to hand around the table, tried on wrists and admired. One gentleman however brought about 20 watches (mostly all Citizen IIRC) that were all new, sealed in little clear storage cubes.
I jokingly harassed him a bit throughout the meal as I felt that if he was just going to keep them locked up in a box, hardly ever to see the light of day, what was the point in keeping them. (No sentimental or rarity issues were involved).
But in the end it depends on how you want to collect things. I know I have boxes of comics stored in the basement that I read and then sealed in little plastic bags, many likely not to see light for many years. A few I pull out occasionally for a read but honestly if there was a way I could sell the lot off I probably would. (And use the money to buy new watches ;D )

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is no logicto individual passions including collectoritis! But thankfully Kew had decided to realease this beauty M-Force, and it came my way!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Actually, initially I'm really quite surprised that the bulk of the responses suggest using the watch - but doing so with care. I actually thought most would say to keep them in their new old stock condition - something that I thought I had a duty to do with these old pieces - saving them for the next person who wanted new old stock pieces, maybe after I no longer walked the earth.

It's good to know your thoughts on this so I can rethink it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Agree with most others here. Wear it in good health.
Thats the great thing about collecting and enjoying watches... they are utilitarian and function and are made to be worn, and the nice thing about Seiko watches is that for the most part, they are not so expensive that they can't be worn.

Enjoy them,
Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would wear them. They look like dressier watches so you probably wouldn't be doing anything that would damage them while they were being worn.

·
Registered
215 Posts
thianwong said:
There is no logicto individual passions including collectoritis! But thankfully Kew had decided to realease this beauty M-Force, and it came my way!

[/quote]

I don't know what's on the end of that necklace/pendant, Thian, but it's sure fun guessing and she certainly seems to like it, shy little thing!
See what you've started now, and I thought I was a leg man, LOL.

·
Registered
230 Posts
They should be let out to move about a bit. . but you might want to take the necessary precautionary measures! Like wearing it with a 'watch-bra' . . . something Ms. Anderson isn't doing . .as observed in Thians wonderful pic! LOL!

The pic has four wonderful movements . . the camaro, the M-force and . . :eek: OMG!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
thianwong said:

[/quote]
Er um, Thian...are you talking about the automobile, the lady or the watch?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts