The Watch Site banner

Should you wear NOS watches?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get a few very nice new old stock Orient watches. Some even come with tags attached. These are watches that date back fifty or more years.

Sadly, I can't bring myself to use one. Anyone else feel the same way? Should new old stock watches be just for one's appreciation or should they find some wrist time?

Here's a sampling...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anzac1957 said:
Knowing how you keep your watches, Nathan, I don't think you will have any trouble keeping them NOS.. As for me, I like to wear all watches that I have.. If it was really special I might think otherwise..
I suppose once one starts to wear it, no longer is it new old stock. There is just something about a new old stock watch :-\ I see you added a "Poll" Tony!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Some unusual vintage pieces there Nathan, some of which I haven't seen before. I think that like you, I'd be tempted to wrap them in cotton wool and stick them in a drawer. Except on special occasions -- indoors -- when I'm wearing slippers. All watches deserve to have a bit of a run now and then.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I also have some watches, that were NOS, when I got them. I wear them, but rarely and with special care.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think all watches deserve to be worn, which is why I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy something really high-end. I'd be too worried about wearing it! ;D

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have purchased 2 NOS watches and I wear them all the time. When wearing them I tell people they were NOS when I bought them. It's the best part to know you are the first to wear a 46 year old watch. Thats the rush for me. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have had some NOS Diver's both of which I sold, as I do like to wear my watches.
And Naturally I like them to show they are worn.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If they're rare or hard to find or I'm not 100% dead on loving the looks, I'd keep them NOS, just because they're only NOS once

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Sir said:
Some unusual vintage pieces there Nathan, some of which I haven't seen before. I think that like you, I'd be tempted to wrap them in cotton wool and stick them in a drawer. Except on special occasions -- indoors -- when I'm wearing slippers. All watches deserve to have a bit of a run now and then.
I knew we had a celebrity in our midst: ;D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of drawer queens when it comes to watches. I love my watches in great condition, but I really do buy them to wear. if I can't wear them for one reason or another, then I'm not really interested.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I guess the answer depends on how you choose to enjoy your watches. My choice is to use them as watches and wear them. While I get a lot of pleasure from finding a 50 year old watch I be quickly bored with simply looking at the watch in a box. I suppose I'm really saying that I'm not a watch investor but a watch user. ;)

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I never understood collectors that keep watches perfectly put away in watch cases, drawers or even metal safes and never ever wear them. :'(

Ask yourself if your collecting goal is to create the ultimate "Private museum" collection or get the most enjoyment out of wearing these pristine pieces. I am OCD as you and take immense care of my watches, but they all get worn and enjoyed equally. If a piece becomes a "drawer queen" to me is equal as having a wad of cash just sitting there. Would you keep a roll of bills tucked away in a drawer and never make use or enjoy the money?

Some collectors get a kick of having tons of watches that never get worn but they derive their pleasure of knowing they are there. Not me.

Eventually, you'll break down. Either you'll rip apart the original bracelet tag and begin wearing them or you will put them up in the sales chopping block. Heck, if you don't want to wear them, why not donate them to a horological museum? They'll keep 'em nicely cured for eternity. ;D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Sorry, wrong poll options... you have NOT included the most important (imho) and that is, "it depends on the owner."

It is no different with any NOS item, watches, cars, or whatever. VERY seldom is ones NOS item the only nice example extent. You buy it, you use it--however you wish! Pure and simple.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts