The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I received a 6619-9990. It’s birth year watch No. 7, from December ’65.

Q&D shot , crystal needs a good polish.

It has a 6619a movement, with crown at 3. It has no day quickset and even the forward to 4am, back to 8pm system doesn’t change the day. Not a problem , just means it will probably get worn in the ever growing rotation on the day it’s set to !

When I went to set the date I was caught out. It sets by pulling the crown out one stop , and then pushing it back in. The only problem with this is that every time you finish setting the time, the date flicks over too.

I have no other Seiko that does that. So some research was called for. No results. Not one. Nobody mentions this type of date setting in the Seiko world.

None of the other three watches with 6619a movements I have set in this way. They all have crown at 4 and all change the date by pushing the crown in.

6619-7050 May '67

6619-8050 July '65

6619-8970 Oct '65

I have one other day/date watch which sets by pulling the crown out from 1st to 2nd stop.
The Ricoh Dynamic Wide. This makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
It's very unlikely that you have a special movement, which quicksets differently from the others.
I'd say it's very possible that the mechanism is not working correctly - ie the stem's not latching with the change lever until the crown's pulled out far enough for it to click into position.
I'd be inclined to check it out - probably some thing bent or mis-aligned.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered if the stem might have been a bit bent, but I took it out to clean a mark off the dial and it was straight as a die. It went back in with no trouble.

The day wheel printing has some odd "disfiguration" on Thursday and Saturday, but otherwise is OK.

The movement, case back and dial all match, so I'm still mystified.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I suspect maybe the wrong stem?

I just checked 2 different 4 0'clock stem 6619's both, both are push in stem to change date, 9pm-2am to move day wheel. Neither has a 2nd click - just one pull-out stop position to move hands.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I suspect maybe the wrong stem?

I just checked 2 different 4 0'clock stem 6619's both, both are push in stem to change date, 9pm-2am to move day wheel. Neither has a 2nd click - just one pull-out stop position to move hands.
Hi
That sounds more like a 6119 than a 6619 to me,

seikola

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would appear to be an error in reassembly after a service. I can live with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts