The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

Newbie here. I stumbled onto your forum after researching info on my Seiko 6139-6005 and 6138-0012 watches that I bought new while serving in the U.S. Army from 1971 - 1974 (82nd ABN). The 6139 has a blue dial and the 6138 has a black dial. I don't know how those two (2) watches survived the "beatings" they've taken over the years, but their still ticking albeit on life support. I was also very fortunate recently to learn of a vintage Seiko Watchmaker not far from my home and both watches are now undergoing a complete "tear down" and servicing.

After meeting the above referenced fella in person to discuss my watches and their "needs", I walked away with an insatiable desire to learn as much as I could about these incredible watches. Because until now, I had no idea of their incredible history, collectability, and current values. I just thought they were really cool when I bought them because they were "self-winding" and incredibly durable. I also had no idea that my 6139 was a true "Pogue" and I thought I purchased the 6138 oversees, but the inside of the case back has "Daltron Inc" stamped on it which means that I had to purchase or acquire it stateside. But now, I cannot remember for the life of me, where, when, or how I got that watch (lots of stuff back in the early 70's haha).

Anyways, my apologies for rambling on here, but I wanted to share my stories and love for the early Seiko's just as all of you obviously do. Now, I'll need to figure out how to load some "before and after" pics at a later date.

And many thanks for welcoming me to your Forum. It's an incredible site, just like the watches you've devoted it to.

Tom in SC

·
Special Member
15,321 Posts
welcome aboard and thanks for serving our country !!
This is the place to be for all things Seiko, and a heck of a lot of other stuff. We love pictures and hope to see more of you!

·
Special Member
689 Posts
Welcome to the site. We all love pics and I cannot wait to see yours. Simply have them on your computer's desktop or in a folder, click on the paper-clip icon below where you write your post and then click on the correct file. No need to "host" the pics the site does that, and no HTML :)

·
Special Member
3,179 Posts
Welcome and thanks for your service! There is amazing knowledge here on Speedtimers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate all the warm welcomes to your forum and the importance of pictures when posting on the forum. So, I'll try to load a few of my 6138-0012... First pic is from new to now after 40+ years of daily wear in an industrial environment and before she fell "ill"... I've never had the watch serviced until now and a full servicing was completed this week. Second pic is of the internals after cleaning (I think), and third pic shows her full of life again.
Watch Brown Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate all the warm welcomes to your forum and the importance of pictures when posting on the forum. So, I'll try to load a few of my 6138-0012... First pic is from new to now after 40+ years of daily wear in an industrial environment and before she fell "ill"... I've never had the watch serviced until now and a full servicing was completed this week. Second pic is of the internals after cleaning (I think), and third pic shows her full of life again. View attachment 481063

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello to All,

Newbie here. I stumbled onto your forum after researching info on my Seiko 6139-6005 and 6138-0012 watches that I bought new while serving in the U.S. Army from 1971 - 1974 (82nd ABN). The 6139 has a blue dial and the 6138 has a black dial. I don't know how those two (2) watches survived the "beatings" they've taken over the years, but their still ticking albeit on life support. I was also very fortunate recently to learn of a vintage Seiko Watchmaker not far from my home and both watches are now undergoing a complete "tear down" and servicing.

After meeting the above referenced fella in person to discuss my watches and their "needs", I walked away with an insatiable desire to learn as much as I could about these incredible watches. Because until now, I had no idea of their incredible history, collectability, and current values. I just thought they were really cool when I bought them because they were "self-winding" and incredibly durable. I also had no idea that my 6139 was a true "Pogue" and I thought I purchased the 6138 oversees, but the inside of the case back has "Daltron Inc" stamped on it which means that I had to purchase or acquire it stateside. But now, I cannot remember for the life of me, where, when, or how I got that watch (lots of stuff back in the early 70's haha).

Anyways, my apologies for rambling on here, but I wanted to share my stories and love for the early Seiko's just as all of you obviously do. Now, I'll need to figure out how to load some "before and after" pics at a later date.

And many thanks for welcoming me to your Forum. It's an incredible site, just like the watches you've devoted it to.

Tom in SC
welcome aboard and thanks for serving our country !!
This is the place to be for all things Seiko, and a heck of a lot of other stuff. We love pictures and hope to see more of you!
[/QUOTE
I'm having trouble sending the other two pics. I'm getting a message that says "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension". Any suggestions on how to continue uploading more pics. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts