The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am new! so I may be posting this in the wrong place, if so sorry.

I just picked up a Seiko golden tuna 1000m today.
I worked for Seiko as a watchmaker 20 years ago and always loved these. Back then I was wearing a 7T27-7A20 military chrono and the tuna was massive , definitely not the type of thing you would wear when you were not diving.

I have had lots of different watches since then, Omega, Breitling, Rolex, AP, IWC, Panerai and.... a few casio g shocks, but I still had an interest in the tuna.
I had a quick look on ebay thinking that they would only be super cheap now....
Oh maybe not.

I made a few calls to my Seiko watchmaker buddies and one of them had this!
Its a 1985 watch and he has had if from new, it is like it has just come of the box, there is not a mark on it, it hasn't even got any of the change battery stamps on the back!

It was serviced last year and pressure tested to 1200 meters (yes 1200).
I have it on a black nato until I can get a new rubber strap for it as the original one is very hard and is the longer divers version to go over a wetsuit.

I will get some better photos up when I get the new strap.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Welcome! And you've got an awesome watch. :)
Yes even Seikos are getting more expensive these days ;) Check out the 6105 divers or even old digital watches...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Agree, let you entertain us please........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watchmaker is probably the wrong word, I did everything apart from taking the movements apart. Dial, hands, crown stem, glass, swap movements, pressure test etc. The proper watchmakers would do all of that and then be able to service a movement.

It was a long time ago, sorry I don't have any interesting stories that I can remember.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Hello and welcome. I am not into divers but do have a SBBN017 and like it a lot. The Golden Tuna is on my wish list, yours looks fabulous:93:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Very nice Golden reissue.

Yours is actually a modern 7C46 variant from 2005.....The smooth ceramic shroud, golden markers and 1000m rating give it away. Not a vintage piece but exceptionally nice and collectable.

The vintage 7549-700x goldens have a coated titainium shroud, white markers and a depth rating of 600m

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice Golden reissue.

Yours is actually a modern 7C46 variant from 2005.....The smooth ceramic shroud, golden markers and 1000m rating give it away. Not a vintage piece but exceptionally nice and collectable.

The vintage 7549-700x goldens have a coated titainium shroud, white markers and a depth rating of 600m
I bow down to you superior knowledge.
I wonder why if it was made in 2005 they have the battery change dates first year as 1990..5 years after 1985 on a watch with a 5 year battery life? I would have thought that it could have possibly have been a 95 but not 2005

But again I am no expert I am just going on the what the Seiko master watchmaker said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After doing some reading up I am 100% convinced that this is or at least the case is a December 1985 watch.

·
Special Member
4,560 Posts
After doing some reading up I am 100% convinced that this is or at least the case is a December 1985 watch.
Welcome and thanks for sharing. Lovely golden Tuna and seems to be a very early one (with Suwa Symbol next to the date window), because as far as I know they first appeared in the 1986 Seiko Catalog and I never have seen one made before December 1985. Here's my 1987 7c46-7009 saying hello...

:)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations for the golden tuna, big time! :)

The tuna (in all of its variations) is still my number 1 watch.

I agree with Mario...your exemplar is probably from the very first batch. The battery change scale on the back pointing to the first change in 1990 is a give.

And like my buddy Shawn said, the 7549 600m tuna was the forefather to the 7c46 1000m. In fact, if it wasn't for the Shinkai submersible to take 02 7549 tunas down to 1062m (exactly double its nominal resistance) strapped to its outside gear back in 1983, Seiko would have not upgraded it to the new 1000m, then.

Now, being a Seiko service department employee some 20 years ago, please tell us that you still have a source inside to get spare parts for the watches and help local hobbyists. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I know I have only owned this watch for a day but I really don't see me wearing anything else for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now, being a Seiko service department employee some 20 years ago, please tell us that you still have a source inside to get spare parts for the watches and help local hobbyists. ;)
Unfortunately no, I have tried the same with a friend that works in a bank and he also can't get me anything out of the vault.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts