The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the UK! I've been a member for quite a few years, but been lurking until now. I've been around on the forums for over 10 years, mainly on TZ-UK. For most of that time, I wouldn't have called myself a Japanese watch enthusiast. However, like most watch collectors, I had the odd Seiko SKX, Monster and a few equivalent Citizen divers. My main collecting themes had been vintage Swiss divers and Lemania 5100 powered chronographs amongst other collecting themes. Therefore, I was mainly a Swiss and German watch collector. However, it soon became apparent when collecting vintage divers, that any meaningful collection must comprise significant watches from Seiko, Citizen and Orient. Therefore, I have spent the last 5 years learning as much as I can about Japanese divers. I think that Seiko in particular have had a huge impact in the development of dive watches over the last 40 or so years, not to take anything away from Citizen. I have been lucky to have acquired a number of fantastic vintage and modern dive watches from Seiko, Citizen and Orient.

With regard to Seiko, these include a number of Tunas including a 7549-7010, a 7549-7009, a Darth 1000m, an Emperor Tuna, a '007 and a '017. I've also got a Seiko Ashtray with another en route and a number of 7C43s and 7548s. I've also got examples of the 62MAS, 6105, 6309, 6306, Sumo, Shogun and Samurai.

As regards Citizen, I've managed to find examples of all of the Ecozillas and an Autozilla. However, it is the vintage 800m, 300m and the 1300m titanium professional divers that are my favourites (the 800m being my pick of the 3) in my collection. Whilst Citizen did not put such high quality movements in these divers as Seiko did with the Tunas and the Ashtray, the rarity factor of the Citizens goes some way to compensate for this. I've also managed to find examples of the 600m Cryston and various other vintage Citizen divers.

I don't have as many nice Orients, although I've got a vintage King Diver 1000m and an early yellow 300m saturation diver. I've also got a couple of first generation m-Force Beasts in orange and red.

I go through phases in my collection and I build on different themes at various times. Does anyone else do this? am currently in a Seiko quartz diver and Tuna phase and plugging the gaps in my collection. I have a Golden Tuna 1000m en route at the moment and I'm looking for a SBBN015 amongst other Tunas.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in this great forum. :)

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I go through phases in my collection and I build on different themes at various times. Does anyone else do this? am currently in a Seiko quartz diver and Tuna phase and plugging the gaps in my collection. I have a Golden Tuna 1000m en route at the moment and I'm looking for a SBBN015 amongst other Tunas.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in this great forum. :)

Cheers

Dave
Funny you mention Seiko quartz divers because due to some other members here pointing out some facts about how certain quartz movements would fit in some of the Seiko automatic diver cases I am now laying out some ideas for some modded Seiko quarts divers. The genuine ones are hard to track down. Welcome aboard!

Michael

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome aboard Dave.

Wow, you have a fantastic collection, indeed! Please post some fotos when you have chance.

I am also fond of Japanese timepieces, particularly Seiko brand for it has so many different styles and movement types.

Enjoy your stay.

Capt. Serdal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounds like you have some great pieces. Do you wear any of your seikos or just collect.
We have to see some of them one day.
Yes about the phases sort of. For me it's collection focus. Am in the seiko quartz diver phase now. But still pick up the odd other piece when some interesting and unexpected comes up.
Your ashtrays sound nice. Have to see some of your examples one day
Welcome

·
Registered
549 Posts
...just to add. Ricoh has some interesting and rare pieces but they hardly ever come up

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Timelord-

Welcome to the board ! I am sure you will find information on whatever interests you and a lot more, enjoy !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like you have some great pieces. Do you wear any of your seikos or just collect.
We have to see some of them one day.
Yes about the phases sort of. For me it's collection focus. Am in the seiko quartz diver phase now. But still pick up the odd other piece when some interesting and unexpected comes up.
Your ashtrays sound nice. Have to see some of your examples one day
Welcome

...just to add. Ricoh has some interesting and rare pieces but they hardly ever come up

I collect them and wear them. Yes, Ricoh have made some nice pieces. I've got the 150m diver, but none of the shrouded divers unfortunately. I've got a few other Japanese branded divers including an Alba Manta Ray, a Bulova Barracuda, a couple of Casio shrouded divers, Casio G-Shocks and one of those Innovative Time 1000m divers that looks like a smaller version of the Citizen 1300m Ti Pro Saturation diver.

·
2,237 Posts
Welcome. Looks like you're way beyond help already as far as the 'watch bug' goes, so I'm sure you'll fit right in :grin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts