The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around for a while and using the wealth of knowledge here. I though it was time I joined and add to it if I could.

I have a passion for dive watches that use while diving. I prefer auto or manual movements. I have absolutely zero skills in watch repair. Modding for me is changing the band. I enjoy diving, shooting sports, hunting, fishing, photography (vintage cameras) and smoking cigars.

Recently I've gotten the bug to get a vintage 6105 to dive with.

I have a modest watch collection and here are a few pictures of few of them I could dig up:

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Nice watches, welcome to the madhouse :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
A nice and diverse collection of divers!

any luck sourcing a 6105? be careful diving with one though...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A nice and diverse collection of divers!

any luck sourcing a 6105? be careful diving with one though...
Thanks,

No, I won't purchase one until I'm comfortable with the seller and it is in the condition I want. I don't want a safe queen collectors watch. I want a working watch that would be tested for depth. The dial and hands LUM need to give off enough light when hit with a flashlight to be visible in low light. The bezel would need to legible. If it's not all matching, that would be ok.

I don't plan on diving this past 10m. It would be primarily for shallow shore dives when I'd be diving tables instead of a computer. I'd also want to keep it in an environment where I could control the shocks it would be exposed to (no boat dives).

I like to find and use vintage items for their intended purpose. I dive around 80 times a year and enjoy wearing different watches when diving. If I go below 30 meters or into a cave, I only wear a modern divers watch rated to 200m.

One day the right watch and deal will come along.

·
Special Member
4,786 Posts
Hi there, and welcome!
Nice collection you have. Noticed that the brushed top of case on the sub and its bracelet have been polished.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there, and welcome!
Nice collection you have. Noticed that the brushed top of case on the sub and its bracelet have been polished.
Yes, case and band are polished. Subs are common, so it's makes it a little different. It also wears better with a suit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
nice to know I'm not the only one who loves the watches, dives with them but doesn't know even how to "pry" one open :)
If you get a functional 6105 do take it past 10 meters : I'm not saying you should try 150 and more, but remember in the days it was built people took it down and beat it around as well...

>>> too junior to extend a welcome, but hey, welcome all the same <<< Philip

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice to know I'm not the only one who loves the watches, dives with them but doesn't know even how to "pry" one open :)
If you get a functional 6105 do take it past 10 meters : I'm not saying you should try 150 and more, but remember in the days it was built people took it down and beat it around as well...

>>> too junior to extend a welcome, but hey, welcome all the same <<< Philip
Where do you do most of your diving? If I'm diving below 10m I'm using a computer and a watch and then I usually use an aqualand as a back up bottom timer.

I don't dive below 45m very often and never below 48. I start to feel narc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
long story, I'm a diver of >20 years but mostly very (very very) comfortable warm-water diving in places such as the Red Sea, Indonesia, Caribbean, you name it... of course I use a dive computer, and honestly I dont plan dives with tables and watch any more
=> the only reason I have diving watches is when one goes on a diving trip one wants to be able to keep the watch on all the time, not take it off before and back on after / in-between dives...
(and honestly, most of the time I don't even bother to adjust the bezel or check the time before going down...)

But then I wear diving watches --mostly Seiko Tuna in fact-- all year round because above all I love them AND they remind me of diving, which helps me "kill time" until my next diving trip :) :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
long story, I'm a diver of >20 years but mostly very (very very) comfortable warm-water diving in places such as the Red Sea, Indonesia, Caribbean, you name it... of course I use a dive computer, and honestly I dont plan dives with tables and watch any more
=> the only reason I have diving watches is when one goes on a diving trip one wants to be able to keep the watch on all the time, not take it off before and back on after / in-between dives...
(and honestly, most of the time I don't even bother to adjust the bezel or check the time before going down...)

But then I wear diving watches --mostly Seiko Tuna in fact-- all year round because above all I love them AND they remind me of diving, which helps me "kill time" until my next diving trip :) :)
I hear you. If the water is below 70 degrees I'm in the wrong location.

When I'm traveling, I don't take my watch off either.

I live close to the ocean and some of the best cave/cavern diving in the world. I can be in the water for a quick two tank dive in 20 minutes so I get to test different watches. Since I dive some of these spots so often, I know the profiles and usually dive just a watch and spg. The walk in reef dives are not more than 10m deep. You'll run out of air before deco.

·
Special Member
4,786 Posts

I'm not a diver, but your description of what a dive watch does for you is the most sensible and realistic I've ever come across. If I knew how to award you a point, I would.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts