The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around for a while and using the wealth of knowledge here. I though it was time I joined and add to it if I could.

I have a passion for dive watches that use while diving. I prefer auto or manual movements. I have absolutely zero skills in watch repair. Modding for me is changing the band. I enjoy diving, shooting sports, hunting, fishing, photography (vintage cameras) and smoking cigars.

Recently I've gotten the bug to get a vintage 6105 to dive with.

I have a modest watch collection and here are a few pictures of few of them I could dig up:

·
Registered
13 Posts
A nice and diverse collection of divers!

any luck sourcing a 6105? be careful diving with one though...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A nice and diverse collection of divers!

any luck sourcing a 6105? be careful diving with one though...
Thanks,

No, I won't purchase one until I'm comfortable with the seller and it is in the condition I want. I don't want a safe queen collectors watch. I want a working watch that would be tested for depth. The dial and hands LUM need to give off enough light when hit with a flashlight to be visible in low light. The bezel would need to legible. If it's not all matching, that would be ok.

I don't plan on diving this past 10m. It would be primarily for shallow shore dives when I'd be diving tables instead of a computer. I'd also want to keep it in an environment where I could control the shocks it would be exposed to (no boat dives).

I like to find and use vintage items for their intended purpose. I dive around 80 times a year and enjoy wearing different watches when diving. If I go below 30 meters or into a cave, I only wear a modern divers watch rated to 200m.

One day the right watch and deal will come along.

·
Registered
119 Posts
nice to know I'm not the only one who loves the watches, dives with them but doesn't know even how to "pry" one open :)
If you get a functional 6105 do take it past 10 meters : I'm not saying you should try 150 and more, but remember in the days it was built people took it down and beat it around as well...

>>> too junior to extend a welcome, but hey, welcome all the same <<< Philip

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice to know I'm not the only one who loves the watches, dives with them but doesn't know even how to "pry" one open :)
If you get a functional 6105 do take it past 10 meters : I'm not saying you should try 150 and more, but remember in the days it was built people took it down and beat it around as well...

>>> too junior to extend a welcome, but hey, welcome all the same <<< Philip
Where do you do most of your diving? If I'm diving below 10m I'm using a computer and a watch and then I usually use an aqualand as a back up bottom timer.

I don't dive below 45m very often and never below 48. I start to feel narc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
long story, I'm a diver of >20 years but mostly very (very very) comfortable warm-water diving in places such as the Red Sea, Indonesia, Caribbean, you name it... of course I use a dive computer, and honestly I dont plan dives with tables and watch any more
=> the only reason I have diving watches is when one goes on a diving trip one wants to be able to keep the watch on all the time, not take it off before and back on after / in-between dives...
(and honestly, most of the time I don't even bother to adjust the bezel or check the time before going down...)

But then I wear diving watches --mostly Seiko Tuna in fact-- all year round because above all I love them AND they remind me of diving, which helps me "kill time" until my next diving trip :) :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
long story, I'm a diver of >20 years but mostly very (very very) comfortable warm-water diving in places such as the Red Sea, Indonesia, Caribbean, you name it... of course I use a dive computer, and honestly I dont plan dives with tables and watch any more
=> the only reason I have diving watches is when one goes on a diving trip one wants to be able to keep the watch on all the time, not take it off before and back on after / in-between dives...
(and honestly, most of the time I don't even bother to adjust the bezel or check the time before going down...)

But then I wear diving watches --mostly Seiko Tuna in fact-- all year round because above all I love them AND they remind me of diving, which helps me "kill time" until my next diving trip :) :)
I hear you. If the water is below 70 degrees I'm in the wrong location.

When I'm traveling, I don't take my watch off either.

I live close to the ocean and some of the best cave/cavern diving in the world. I can be in the water for a quick two tank dive in 20 minutes so I get to test different watches. Since I dive some of these spots so often, I know the profiles and usually dive just a watch and spg. The walk in reef dives are not more than 10m deep. You'll run out of air before deco.

·
Special Member
5,643 Posts

I'm not a diver, but your description of what a dive watch does for you is the most sensible and realistic I've ever come across. If I knew how to award you a point, I would.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.