The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I do not collect the 6139 watches from reading other post I learned of the need for the special double key winding stems for the models with the inner rotating bezel and even harder to find the gear and spring for the inner bezel.
I came across a seller who has fashioned the inner gear out of what appears to be some type of plastic. Now if you have a watch missing these three critical parts and are luck enough to find a stem all you need to do is find a spring which has to be a lot easier than trying to find something that would have replaced the gear.
On the same line of thought I have noticed some advertising that you can modify the stem meant for use on the 6119 powered Sports 70 models which also has an inner rotating bezel. Out of curiosity I have put both stems on the bench side by side and I can not see any possible way to modify the 6119 stem to work on a 6139 so don't waste your money on this myth.

Michael

·
Craftsman
3,838 Posts
I think better just to use original stems ?

I imagine such has Tom is awash with 6139 spares ? :)

I'll never tell...........;)

btw, The 3d version of the stem gear that Adrian, a forum member, is offering is a good replacement if you don't have an original. I've have one of the prototypes installed on one of my 6139-600x's for testing purposes for a couple of months now and it works flawlessly.

On the other hand there is another seller offering a replacement stem + gear set up on the bay out of Thailand. I would have concerns that the gear sliding on a threaded stem may cause issues with metal filings from wear entering the movement.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I tested one of Adrians prototype gears and purchased a production gear that has been cast from stronger resin and I can vouch for its durability and performance. If you need one; VTA on Ebay.

·
Special Member
7,069 Posts
I have Adrian's plastic gear, it is excellent.

I also bought the Thailand seller Seikomania aftermarket stem and gear despite obvious differences just to experiment. What the heck, a few bucks to learn and spread my findings once they arrive. I consider a fun endeavor that has real upside to the hobby.

Check out his YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ9IOzS3iyI&list=WL&index=200

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
On the same line of thought I have noticed some advertising that you can modify the stem meant for use on the 6119 powered Sports 70 models which also has an inner rotating bezel. Out of curiosity I have put both stems on the bench side by side and I can not see any possible way to modify the 6119 stem to work on a 6139 so don't waste your money on this myth.

Michael
I have modified many 6119 stems to 6139 specifications for customers, it's a relatively uncomplicated job with a watchmakers lathe. See here, the part you're interested in is a dozen pictures down.

http://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2015/02/27/seiko-6139-60/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts