The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In recent days, there has been a fierce debate on Instagram as to whether the so-called Aussie Pogue variant (gold-yellow dial, black inner ring) has actually officially existed. Since no catalogs were known to date, there were always doubts about the legality of this configuration. I would not go into the debatte, as it was at one point only ridiculous.
The interesting thing is, that now Paul, aka "vintageseiko", an Australian Seiko collector, has managed to find a colored catalog at a retailer in Singapore that shows the variant in color. The variant even has its own model number, namely AH023.

These are excellent new informations and the props go to Paul, thank you!
The catalogue shows a early Proof dialed 6139 6000, notched Case, 2pc seconds hand and the bracelet is the rare chiclet.

Now we need to find the silver Pogue in a old catalogue ....

Feedback geben

Verlauf

Community

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 Lite mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We’re notched 6139 cases with two piece sweeps still being produced when the 6138s were out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. The catalogue must be 1970. The first 6138, the Ufo, came out around february 1970. Notched case in Pogues basicly was used at least until May 1970.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 Lite mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Nice find!
Seiko Oceania still lists the calibre, case, model numbers, bracelet numbers, for the 6139 etc.

Reactions: SennieG

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Yes! I knew it (see my recent thread). Thank you for posting. For those who missed it, this is in Toms queue for restoration:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
In recent days, there has been a fierce debate on Instagram as to whether the so-called Aussie Pogue variant (gold-yellow dial, black inner ring) has actually officially existed. Since no catalogs were known to date, there were always doubts about the legality of this configuration. I would not go into the debatte, as it was at one point only ridiculous.
The interesting thing is, that now Paul, aka "vintageseiko", an Australian Seiko collector, has managed to find a colored catalog at a retailer in Singapore that shows the variant in color. The variant even has its own model number, namely AH023.

These are excellent new informations and the props go to Paul, thank you!
The catalogue shows a early Proof dialed 6139 6000, notched Case, 2pc seconds hand and the bracelet is the rare chiclet.

Now we need to find the silver Pogue in a old catalogue ....
I knew it from instagram, thanks for posting.
I love this configuration, glad to know that now it is totally legit.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i don't know why there was ever a question of the reality of an "aussie pogue." we've had people on the forum who have stated that they have purchased it new in that configuration. i recall saying that there was such an iteration and i was blasted until someone came forward to say that they did indeed buy one like that new (at a px i believe). i got all of the "show me a catalog shot" or that is a "franken pogue" remarks - enough to fill a small book. LOL. all i could do is shake my head.

todd, what is interesting about your dial is that the proof word seems to fade out towards the second O and F like the beat dial i have. at first i thought it was just due to the fact that my dial lived a hard life, but maybe that is a print characteristic of some of these dials.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The Proof is in the Pudding!
Thanks for posting Anthony!

·
Special Member
2,796 Posts
The instagram squabble is Highly Entertaining :)

The Non-Believers with their ridiculous Aussie Pogue "does not exist" conspiracy theories - "that catalog photo proves nothing" and "this catalog could well be a fake" and the "colors have been photoshopped" remind me of Flat Earthers. Even when confronted with overwelming evidence the Flat Earth Society and Aussie Pogue Does Not Exist Society continue to make silly arguments:

Anyone interested in the psychology of these people might be interested in this:

Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious?

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Whats to stop someone installing a black inner ring in a gold/yellow 6000 and promoting/selling it as the Rare Aussie pogue ?
To me, at this time, the Aussie Pogue has no greater resale value in my book than a similar in every other way yellow Pogue unless you have the provenance to go with it. Otherwise it's just a spare parts build using that color scheme.

I imagine over time it will come out that there are special characteristics that are not yet well known. For example how long did the collecting community admire teal dial Sunrise Pogues until "somebody" put it out there they all came from Nov and Dec 1972 (2N and 2D)? Or that Daini 62MAS's have specific case back runs and always a horseshoe back (thanks Russ!) or how true Scubapro 6306s all have certain months of production, etc.?

Once this is determined and shared it should reduce the tendency to pass off spare parts mash-ups as "Aussie Pogues".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts