The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So this watch has some sentimental value to me. It was given to me by my dad when I was 15-16 or somewhere abouts but I never wore it. Over the years it got banged around from moving and eventually quit working. I knew it was much better than your standard Casio but its value didn't really grow on me until I was a little older. Watches in general have really grown on me as I've gotten older. Funny part is, I never really wore a watch regularly. I will with this watch though.

My wife, knowing it was special to me, took it without me knowing and decided to get it restored as a gift for me for our first child, my son, being born. Neither one of us knew much about the model's history or how good of a watch it actually was.

First it went to Seiko to get rebuilt and fully functioning again. They replaced the automatic movement from what I can understand reading the service card. Then it went to a local watch guy where the band was taken apart piece by piece, any dings repaired if possible (not all of them were unfortunately), buffed and reassembled. the housing received the same treatment. We are now waiting for him to receive a special buffer for the crystal. He also touched up the blue and red on the tackymeter. The watch really looks fantastic so far.

A few questions:
1. Was the value of the watch ruined by replacing the movement?

2. I really need one more link for the band. I want to wear it but if I flex my wrist just a little I might pop the band. Since its an original band, I want to add another link to it instead of replacing it. An aftermarket link is fine but I don't want to replace the entire band if at all possible.

3. Both Seiko and the local watch guy said the watch failed pressure testing and to not get it wet. This bugs me. Especially that Seiko themselves couldnt just replace the orings. I found new seal kits online. I wouldnt attempt this repair myself but may purchase the kit and ask the watch guy to replace the seals. Lets the 3 seals don't fix it. Any other spots to look at?

here are a couple bad pics. ill get more when i get home. sorry for such a long first post.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the club and congratulations for keeping hold of such a great watch from your teens.

Firstly, if seiko replaced the movement with another 6139 NOS movement then don't sweat it. If someone could assure me that my 6139 had a brand new movement installed by seiko then I'd be stoked. However, if they replaced with a modern quartz movement then I'd be spitting chips. Your watch guy should be able to tell you what's inside.

Rather than wait for a special buffing machine, you can get a quality reproduction crystal from sellers on this forum or on eBay. The result will be better than a buffed crystal. I've tried polishing these crystals (by hand) and I've yet to get a result that would be as good as a new crystal.

You'll never get a really good waterproof seal on these old chronos. There are too many points of access. They may say 70 water resist on the back, but I wouldn't put any if my vintage watches in the washing up sink, let alone swim with them. By all means replace the gaskets for everyday piece of mind though.

You won't find aftermarket links. Trawl eBay and you'll find a beat up bracelet eventually that you can claim links from. Where are you located? I think there is one on gumtree here in Australia as part of a cheap job lot. Alternatively, you can buy extenders that extend the clasp a little to give you extra room.

Most importantly, enjoy wearing it.

Cheers,
Tristan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Even when new these were not well sealed. I saw many of these come in for service that had gone swimming and were (even then) too expensive to be worth fixing.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I think Tristan covered everything. New seals are a no brainer and will improve the operation of the crown and pushers no end.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Looks like you have a good one there....but what... Seiko didn't send this straight back to you!!? They replaced the movement!!??? To my understanding that is completely unheard of for the last 20 years! (maybe an exageration!).

How on earth did your local watch repair guy touch up the tachy ring - please find out and let me know :---) (if it's marker pen then I dont need to know...)

As others have said, these things aren't known for being good swimmers! I wouldn't worry too much about it, just be mindful of keeping it dry.

Well hope it gets back to you looking nice, wear it in good health.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have the watch in my possession. Forgot to get more pics last night. Time is non existent with a new born (well, 1 month now) at home.

My wife spent a good amount of time on the phone...persuading them...to be nice about it. She wanted it perfect. I'll look at the service card tonight to see if they listed a PN for the movement.

From what I understand, he touched up the tacky with paint, not a maker pen. But it looks so good, i wouldn't be surprised if it was actually replaced at Seiko or by the watch guy. There were some chips in the blue but I cant remember if any of the numbers were messed up. It just a sticker, no? I haven't actually talked to anyone yet who touched the watch but I plan to just to know for sure what all was done.

Tristan - I am in the States. I looked up clasp extenders and I'm not sure what one would be best and least noticeable. Can you point me in the right direction? I've thought about an aftermarket band and putting away the original. that way if I screw up the band on something, its not a big deal. Right now, I can buckle it but its tight. If I flex my wrist at all, I'm afraid I'll pop it.

I saw that auction from Australia yesterday but after shipping here it just wouldnt be worth it to me.

As far as the crystal, I trust this guy and he isn't charging extra for it so I'll wait. If i dont like it, I'll look into a new crystal and have it installed. This guy has been my wife's family jeweler for decades and is actually a Rolex guy. He sent my watch to another guy for the band resto because he is really only set up for Rolex and other mega high end watches.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First off welcome to a great forum. There's no shortage of experts here and I've learned a great deal over the past few years since joining. I have the same watch (purchased from a well-known Seiko expert who frequents this forum). I agree with everything previously said; however if the water resistance issues really matters to you (it does to me) I highly recommend Jack at IWW - easy google find. He replaced all gaskets and pressure tested my watch and it passed. While I certainly wouldn't swim with this watch it does get wet quite a bit and I've had no issues - and if you do Jack stands behind his work. I'm sure others here can attest to Jack's work.

Good luck,

Matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Matt. I'll look into contacting Jack. I just dont want to have to take the watch off every time i wash my hands which can be often depending on what I'm doing at work.

Just found this extender guys. Probably wouldnt look too far out of place. Anyone know what size I would need? If not I can break out the calipers when I get home.

wont let me post the link. ebay item number 380308959064.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man thats tempting. not sure i want to spend anymore right now though. would be nice to put the original away in case i mess it up on something. i do plan on wearing this watch.

·
Special Member
1,816 Posts
hey new guy,

welcome to the forum.

1) buy one of the bracelets noddy linked you to. you'll regret it if you don't. they are the perfect match for your watch.

2) do NOT polish that case any more, even if you get some dents in it.

3) wear and enjoy!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks shark. i did order one a few minutes ago.

i thought the sides and back were supposed to be polished and the top of the case brushed? its still brushed on top. but i agree. i dont want to ruin what its supposed to look like. did i ruin it already?

·
Special Member
1,816 Posts
thanks shark. i did order one a few minutes ago.

i thought the sides and back were supposed to be polished and the top of the case brushed? its still brushed on top. but i agree. i dont want to ruin what its supposed to look like. did i ruin it already?
nah, but you don't want to distort the case lines. good to hear you picked up the bracelet. you'll be glad you did.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome, as already been said replace the gaskets and it will really help the watch :)

I love this Seiko add. I was thinking about it when writing my post above, but changed what I put. Do you think Seiko were suggesting that this is as far as you should take it! :grin:

What pressure did you pump that too John??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts