The Watch Site banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, and hello too all the Seiko fanatics out there. I’ve been researching (trolling ) Seiko divers and chronographs off and on for a few years now.
I had other quartz divers in the past, but inevitably they’d last about a year before battery issues, crystal issues, bezel issues, etc. The Citizen Eco-Drive solar powered diver I bought, was extraordinarily comfortable, accurate and attractive…until it wasn’t. So I upgraded to a Seiko Kinetic diver(SKA297). This was in 2006. She still runs true, and still looks good enough that I had a replacement crystal installed. For now I’m treating it as my daily. My only concern has been the weak spring bars. Sadly, they are skinny, and exactly fitted to the factory stainless bracelet. The bracelet is comfortable, but I’ve nearly dropped the watch 3 times, and each time I put 2 new bars in.

7 years in, I bought a mod’ed 6309-729A from the Phillipines. It has a retrofitted 6105 dial, and a fresh bezel insert. I obsessed over this type of mod’ed 6309 for months before buying one. It wasn’t cheap. It wasn’t stupid money either. I put a soft brown leather Roma strap on it and started wearing it for weekends and special occasions. Unfortunately the bezel does not move well, the lume is pretty thin, and the movement looses more than a minute a day. The power reserve after 3 days of continuous wear was less than 8 hours. So many vintage Seikos seem to come out of the Phillipines...? I believe That I posted here about it when I 1st bought it, and received some solid advice on the 6309 movement.

4 days ago, I found a original 6105-8000 in excellent working condition. A “mantiques” dealer who focuses on high end chronographs, fire arms and silver cigars accessories had it in a bin. He understood that it was a working automatic diver from a good name, but not his market. We agreed on $175. It seemed to be running smooth. It sounded good too. It had a cheap vintage Spiedel bracelet. I took that off and squeezed a spare black rubber diver band on to her. New bars.
At the moment, this 1970 Seiko Diver is running at – 10 seconds after nearly 96 hours. UNBELIEVABLE!
Service/restoration recommendations please:
1. Aside from the band, she is all original. I'm considering the H-pattern Oyster bracelet I’ve seen on the Bay. Is there anyone out their making custom straps? The 19mm strap size for this is odd. Any wider leather ones with a notch down at bars to fit this smaller size?
2. The lume on the dial and hands is a little “mossy”. Can it be cleaned and saved? If it is saved but re-lumed will that take away from it’s value as an original piece? What are the members experiences here?
3. The bezel moves smoothly but no clicking at all. Ball bearings gone? Fixable? Leave it?
4. I was looking into a full service on my suspect 6309, and possibly a sapphire crystal for it. It has been suggested to me that spending another $200-300 on the 6309 might be a poor decision. Now, given how easy it is to scratch the crystal on a watch as an active person, should I seriously look into a sapphire upgrade for this 6105 when I service it ( I will at some point, even though it is running so well).

Recommendations for Seiko watch servicing here in the States?
Send it to Seiko, requesting a cleaning, service and regulating?

Thank you for all the past postings and photos guys.
Thank you in advance for feedback here.
Cheers
Swordsworn1

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Nice!

Hmmmn. Just realized the links aren't working from here.
Is there a a filter?
Nope. No filter. You just need to use the IMG statement around the JPG/GIF url or use the "Manage Attachments" button to upload photos. There are some service resources that I am sure others will suggest to you.
And :welcome: to SCWF!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Very nice fine..... and at an excellent bargain price.

1. I have always liked NATO straps for my divers, and they make a variety of colors in 19mm.....

2. The WABI or moss on the lume from my experience will not clean up, I don't recommend that you relume, it is a beautiful dial as is, but just MHO.

3. The bezel sounds as though working just as to be expected, the 6105-800x did not have balls and no clicking... leave it.

4. Your call.... me I like all original.....

Congrats on a great pick up, or, as some might say.... a steal

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I think I've secured a vintage Stelux Seiko stainless bracelet to finish it out nicely. I do like the Nato bracelet, and may grab a OD one for a spare.

Still, I will be considering a proper cleaning and service sometime soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An interesting update, and no word of a lie. After 5 continuous days she is running at +/- 1 second. I can only assume that the internal lubricants have properly redistributed after a long dormancy. I guess I should expect it to gain some more and start running a bit fast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. It did seem odd that a review video I watched on YouTube of a 6105-8110 seemed click, and my 8000 didn't.

Cheers Marsimaxam & XZQT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.
Ran the watch 5 days straight. Generally +/- 5 seconds now.
Power reserve 48 plus hours after being set aside.
Outstanding for a 43 year old watch!

Found a 19mm rallye strap for it in dark brown. Should hold me till the vintage bracelet arrives from overseas.

19 mm is an odd size these days....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, gentle people.
I have a follow up question, and that is what kind of day to day accuracy are folks getting out of their 6105's? What was factory spec? Anyone have that data? Do they get better with age if cared for? Worse?

I have had a full service done ( by one of the highest accredited in the field) and I think I'm losing nearly 30 seconds every day.???? It was better before I serviced it. (But not as pretty) That said the watch is gorgeous now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not yet. I didn't want to jump the gun. I've actively worn the watch for about a month. It did not "settle" in. I also wanted to get a measure for the models expected level of accuracy. After a lot of reading on this forum and another, the best info I came up ,with was between 5-15 seconds a day might be expected. Mine is fully twice that at minus 30 seconds every 24 hrs. According to the restorer, there were no broken parts, and no corrosion( or nothing even vaguely worrisome ).

Is there a consensus? Is 15 seconds or less in 24 hrs is a reasonable expectation for a 6105 in fully serviced condition? (service/clean/lube, gasket set and resealing with pressure test ran nearly $250 and I waited 6 months)

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
I know this is an old thread (how did you solve the problem, swordsworn1?), but if the watch is CONSTANTLY 30 seconds off, it is actually pretty accurate (as in: "low beat error") and just has to be adjusted to run a little faster. This could be done by any watchmaker with a timing machine.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
well hello...it is possible it could just need a service and be retimed...but being so consistantly slow ...i am not sure i would do much to it..do you know if it has even been serviced?..i am sure one of the pro's will know for sure...what model watch is it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts