The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new book about Seiko Five Sports Speed-Timer models is about to be released by author Sadao Ryugo. Ryugo-san has previously released the Illustrated Seikosha Pocket Watches that is the definitive reference for early Seiko pocket watches.

This new book is titled The History of the Seiko 5 Sports Speed-Timer - Birth of the Seiko Automatic Chronograph. It examines the development of the Seiko chronographs and starts with the first Seiko designed chronograph model and the progression to the first automatic chronograph. In addition to the historical watches and movements there is also a discussion comparing the historical calibers design to the modern chronograph calibers produced by Seiko.

The book includes the interview sections in both the original Japanese as well as English to make it more accessible to international readers. There are also catalog and advertising images from both Japan as well as international markets.

Below are some example pages from the book showing the Japanese and English interview and a German Speed-Timer advert.

The book will be 204 pages long and is being published by NanNansha in Japan. It will be officially released on December 10th and can be purchased directly from the author for international sales. I know that there are only a small number of copies available from the initial limited print run. If you are interested in the book please send an email to the author at [email protected] to reserve your copy.

Disclaimer: I provided some images for this book and assisted with the English translations of the interviews, I do not have any financial connection to the book and do not receive any revenue from its sales.

·
Premium Member
9,630 Posts
thank you for this. Iconic watches like these deserve documentation like this. Thanks for sharing ...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thank you! I sent off the email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
A "must have" for any Speed-Timer lover, fanatic or WIS !! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The interviews in the book are quite interesting and there is some new info that has been discovered during research for the book.

In addition to the interviews it detail the exact date that the 6139 models went on sale to the public as well as when the 6139 prototypes were finalized and the models went into mass production for the initial release.

This is information that has not been made public before so it does shed some info on the background to the models as well as general info such as why some models changed their bracelets during production and why some models appear only in a small number of catalogs but may have examples produced appearing even a couple of years later.

It is great to read the interviews with the actual people involved. As this was 50 years ago it is fantastic that these interviews were recorded while staff were still available to pass on their experiences.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Anthony, thank you for your efforts in helping out with the translations!

Finally, a compilation of Facts!

I'm looking forward to receiving a copy........:)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
^^^ Yes, I’m ordering mine this week. Is the regular mail from Japan really as slow as 1-3 months? I’m trying to decide if I need to get the more expensive delivery option.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
^^^ Yes, I’m ordering mine this week. Is the regular mail from Japan really as slow as 1-3 months? I’m trying to decide if I need to get the more expensive delivery option.

I've received regular mail from Japan in about a week in the past.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Sounds like a must-have. I haven't seen a price quote anywhere ?

Go ahead and email the author at the top of this thread. He will respond to you quickly. It’s a $100 US plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I’ve emailed twice now with no response, argh! I’ll try using a different account. Any other way of contacting him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve emailed twice now with no response, argh! I’ll try using a different account. Any other way of contacting him?

Try “mrseikosha” on Instagram. You might get lucky!

·
Premium Member
9,630 Posts
Go ahead and email the author at the top of this thread. He will respond to you quickly. It’s a $100 US plus shipping.

My quote plus shipping came back at $129 - ouch.

I really wanted to have this book since Speed-Timers are by far my favorite watch, but not at that cost.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's comments on the books when they arrive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have one coming. Told him just regular shipping since I don't need it for Christmas. Yeah, it's a little pricey but seems worth it. We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Me too. I just ordered it with regular shipping. Considering the cost of similar books (like Moonwatch) this one isn’t too bad if it is as good as it seems it will be.

·
Registered
267 Posts
While im mora a fan of Seikos divers, this book seesm super interesting and I wouldnt mind seeing more pictures of it. Thanks for the heads up!

The interviews in the book are quite interesting and there is some new info that has been discovered during research for the book.

In addition to the interviews it detail the exact date that the 6139 models went on sale to the public as well as when the 6139 prototypes were finalized and the models went into mass production for the initial release.

This is information that has not been made public before so it does shed some info on the background to the models as well as general info such as why some models changed their bracelets during production and why some models appear only in a small number of catalogs but may have examples produced appearing even a couple of years later.

It is great to read the interviews with the actual people involved. As this was 50 years ago it is fantastic that these interviews were recorded while staff were still available to pass on their experiences.

I guess, this means there will be a final ruling of who came first in the race for the first automatic chrono?? Care to share? ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts