The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well actually not quite new, it arrived 3+ months ago but just came back from a long, expensive overhaul and clean-up.

Other people more knowledgeable than me have written about the Seiko Seikomatic Silverwave so I'm not going to regurgitate here, but the Silverwave J12028 was one of the first water resistant diver watches that Seiko produced, and the earliest versions came with the starburst dial.

When I received it back in February it was dirty, crystal scratched and yellowish, bracelet rusted, and the case was very tired and in need of a polish. Fortunately the movement and dial were in pretty good shape and the patina on the hands were a beautiful tan color.

Before:

There were many NOS crystals and crowns available on our favorite auction site, so I thought replacing them would be easy...little did I know that even if parts are NOS and correct for the model, if they are not stored properly they are pretty much useless.

In all I must have bought 3 correct NOS crowns and 2 crystals...none of the crowns fit because the gasket had hardened, never mind passing a water pressure test. In the end we had to use the original crown. The first crystal I bought was NOS and correct and even came in its original packaging, but had deformed slightly and did not fit the case. Luckily the second crystal I bought fit, and what a difference a new crystal makes.

The crystal sits high above the case, giving the dial depth. The case itself is very "round" and so NATO's fit the watch very well.

Patina on the hands is ridiculous and the starburst dial is mesmerizing, although a bit difficult to tell the time :) The mirrored indexes shine under sunlight and the starburst dial reflects different colors depending on the lighting.

I'm moving away from Japanese divers as my passion is vintage Heuers and 40's-60's Swiss chronographs, but this is a very good change of pace and perfect for summer sunlight!

Hopefully one day I will find a crown with a good gasket so it passes a water pressure and the hands/dial do not get damaged by humidity.

Onto the "After" iPhone pics:

"Darkside of the Moon" pic

With my other Japanese divers...

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
That's turned out very nice indeed. I have a couple of these starburst 12082's waiting for attention but I never seem to get the time to work on my own watches! A couple of questions, does the inner bezel rotate? I'm only asking as it seems to be sitting quite proud of the dial. The inner bezel has a nylon gear situated beneath it attached by two locating holes in the underside, on one of my examples the nylon gear is slightly misshapen which has lifted one side of the inner bezel and prevents it from turning, one of the jobs I have to sort. You can see in the picture where the inner bezel on mine is lifted at the 12 position.

My second one (below) I haven't seen yet, it's on its way to me from Japan as I type this, hopefully it'll turn out as nicely as yours.

Congratulations, they are unique watches. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was talking to my dad the other day, and he said his first ever dive watch was a Seiko (I assumed a 6105), with a pale dial (confused me), in the 1960s. He didn't know anything else about it (he's 73), and my searching on Google failed, as they all have black dials. I think I may of found it, if the dates are correct. It's a lovely looking watch. Thank you ghwatch!!!

Regards, David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
They aren't dive watches in the true sense of the word David as they were never ISO rated, but they were Seikos first foray at producing a proper waterproof watch and paved the way for the first true diver, the 62mas which came immediately after. In fact I have a March 1965 Silverwave Sportsmatic and an April 1965 62mas.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I knew what you meant, but it fits the bill really of the description my dad gave me. Unless you/anyone else know(s) of a pale dial "diver", from early 60s. He got it off a dive instructor.

Feels like I'm hijacking this thread, so I'll PM you next reply.

Regards, David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
That is truly gorgeous, though I can see what you mean about it being hard to actually see what the time is !

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Beautiful watch - I have admired these starburst Silverwaves for some time but never had the opportunity to buy one. A fantastically scarce and wondrous thing !

·
Registered
390 Posts
That is one of my dream watches from Seiko..!

Hope one day i could get the opportunity to own one in such great condition!

Congratulations!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've got one of these with my watchmaker at the moment - been looking for one forever to match my Sportsmatic Silverwave. Your photos are making me anxious for its return! Those gears/bezels do seem finicky, though - I had to source a replacement gear/spring set for mine too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's turned out very nice indeed. I have a couple of these starburst 12082's waiting for attention but I never seem to get the time to work on my own watches! A couple of questions, does the inner bezel rotate? I'm only asking as it seems to be sitting quite proud of the dial. The inner bezel has a nylon gear situated beneath it attached by two locating holes in the underside, on one of my examples the nylon gear is slightly misshapen which has lifted one side of the inner bezel and prevents it from turning, one of the jobs I have to sort. You can see in the picture where the inner bezel on mine is lifted at the 12 position.
Thanks Cannop! Yes, the inner bezel rotates. As you wrote it sits higher than the dial but I think the shadow of the bezel in the picture makes it look higher than it actually is. The inner bezel does sit slightly higher than the dial however, I assumed thats how they were made. I'm not sure how it actually works but my watchmaker told me that the gears were miraculously intact.

My second one (below) I haven't seen yet, it's on its way to me from Japan as I type this, hopefully it'll turn out as nicely as yours.
Congratulations, looks like its in fantastic condition! The dial is flawless! If you fix the crown that is sticking out and source a new seconds hand I think it will turn out beautifully!! As per my post, finding a crown with good gasket will be a challenge...I heard from a collector friend of mine that theoretically you could open up the crown and replace the gasket but I have no idea if it can actually be done....my search for a good crown continues...

·
Special Member
6,523 Posts
Yes, changing an old acryllic crystal, even if it is crack-free/scratch-free and PolyWatched to the hilt to an NOS Crystal makes all the difference in the world.

Well done !

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
Thanks Cannop! Yes, the inner bezel rotates. As you wrote it sits higher than the dial but I think the shadow of the bezel in the picture makes it look higher than it actually is. The inner bezel does sit slightly higher than the dial however, I assumed thats how they were made. I'm not sure how it actually works but my watchmaker told me that the gears were miraculously intact.

Congratulations, looks like its in fantastic condition! The dial is flawless! If you fix the crown that is sticking out and source a new seconds hand I think it will turn out beautifully!! As per my post, finding a crown with good gasket will be a challenge...I heard from a collector friend of mine that theoretically you could open up the crown and replace the gasket but I have no idea if it can actually be done....my search for a good crown continues...
Thanks for the info ghwatch. :) I have a spare seconds hand and I'll be servicing the movement when it arrives so I'll sort the crown/stem out then.

Cracking pictures of your example, and well done with getting it all sorted out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts