The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I picked up my second Seiko Ananta ;D As you may remember, about a month or so ago I picked up a new Seiko Ananta Spring Drive GMT 8) . This new luxury range from Seiko so far has met and exceed all my expectations and then some. The Spring Drive movement is amazing and its accuracy is very HEQ like :eek: . Having felt in love with every aspect of the "Katana" inspired design and the superb finish and build quality of these watches, I felt compelled to add a second one.

For the longest time I have been craving a fully mechanical chronograph, but not until recently, the only way to get your hands on a Seiko automatic chrono was to order it sight unseen from Japan. When Seiko released the Ananta range at the tail end of last year, there were not only launching a collection of luxury timepieces with state of the art design and movements. They were also making available, for the first time in nearly 30 years, a column wheel driven, vertical clutch mechanical chronograph for the international market.

But without any further introductions, please welcome my new Ananta Automatic Chrono caliber 8r28A into the family....

The 8R28A automatic chronograph movement.... Note the Katana sword handle inspired rotor....

[img]

[img]

And here side by side with the Ananta Spring Drive GMT....

[img]

[img]http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/minidriver_2009/DSC_0284.jpg

This watch is SWEET!!!!!

[img]

[img]

Enjoy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nice, you have the ultimate Ananta collection thus far.

I've been contemplating the Black faced GMT for a while now, have some credits with Macy's and was about to make the purchase during their friends and family sale, but the discounts didn't apply to the Ananta line. Every other Seiko and watch maker except for the Anantas. Well maybe one day they will reconsider.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I saw them live - just too big! On the other hand, if people wear Frog/mudman-Casios, how could I call an Ananta too big? ;D
But photos say nothing as they depend on the focal length used. My rule is: if I turn my wrist to read the time a minimum of 50% of what I see on my arm should be bracelet/strap (I even like the watch head much smaller). Hope you get what I mean. I have to admit, that for some watches I broke with that rule, though.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Congratulations Frank. You can get a lot of watches for what you spent on those two. I'm sure they are very special to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jimmyfifty said:
A friend of mine recently let me wear his for a few minutes. Incredible! 8)

[/quote]

Look at this picture - would you be able to see the hours and minutes hands without the lume? Nope... They use these highly reflective polished hands across the entire Ananta line, and quite frankly their visibility is poor under many light conditions.

·
Registered
822 Posts
ocularguy said:
Look at this picture - would you be able to see the hours and minutes hands without the lume? Nope... They use these highly reflective polished hands across the entire Ananta line, and quite frankly their visibility is poor under many light conditions.
Photos can be deceptive -- I'm often surprised how readable highly-polished hands can be in most lighting conditions.

Frank -- lovely watch. There's nothing like a high-precision, smoothly-operating mechanical chrono! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
congrats Frank. I figured that was the one you had on your list.... looks fantastic. can't wait to see the video.

;D

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nhoJ said:
Congratulations Frank. You can get a lot of watches for what you spent on those two. I'm sure they are very special to you.

Thanks my friend. Indeed you can buy lots of watches for the cost of these two :eek: But.... As of late I am enjoying having fewer but, at the same time, nicer watches. It is very interesting how your collecting habits change over time. There is something to be said about Seiko's top shelf stuff ;D

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bubba295 said:
it is a good looking watch, but don't really care for the look/size of the crown and pushers.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) . I, too, was concerned with the size of the mushroom shaped chrono pushers, but they are not as "offending" in real life as you may think just going by the photos. In terms of ergonomics/functionality, they work very well and make a lot of sense. The pusher action is firm but smooth and direct at the same time. I would say that my Citizen Eco-Drive 2100 chrono pushers do require more effort than these.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seikomatic said:
Love those trumpet pushers ;D ...very dislike the flat case back... :(

Out of curiosity, how you tried one of these on? Don't let the photos deceive you.... The case back may look "flat" but it is far from it ;) It not only conforms to the natural curvature of the wrist but it also "hugs" it. The end result is a heavy watch that sits comfortably on your wrist and it is perfectly balanced too.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Axel66 said:
I saw them live - just too big! On the other hand, if people wear Frog/mudman-Casios, how could I call an Ananta too big? ;D
But photos say nothing as they depend on the focal length used. My rule is: if I turn my wrist to read the time a minimum of 50% of what I see on my arm should be bracelet/strap (I even like the watch head much smaller). Hope you get what I mean. I have to admit, that for some watches I broke with that rule, though.

Cheers,

Axel

Yes, I could not agree more. Photos, and this is true of macro shots, can easily change the "real scale" perception of the subject. I have seen close-up photos of 37-39mm watches that look "huge" but in real life they look completely different in terms of size.

I have "Japanese sized" 6.5 in wrists. Before I got to handle the Anantas in person, I was concerned about the reported size and heft of the watches. On paper, there is simply no way I could pull them off :eek:

But my fears went right out the window when I slapped them on my wrist. Yes they are heavy watches (The chronos are very close to tipping the scales at half a pound!) but the case is amazingly comfortable and hugs your wrist. The end result is a watch that wear comfortably, well balanced and doesn't look/feel overwhelming.

I had a 45mm "Planet" Orient whose north-south lug to lug measurement broke the 50mm barrier. The problem with that watch is that the case is nearly flat and the case back protrudes out/downward more than it should. The end result was a watch that just sat on top of my wrist and you could see the lugs overhanging beyond the edges of my wrist. It was also heavy. I got used to it but it was not the most comfortable watch I had.

The monocoque construction of the Ananta case means that you don't have your typical screw down case back taking up more real estate. This allowed the designers to incorporate curves in areas of the back of the case that otherwise would have proven to be impossible to do.

Sometimes measurements don't tell the whole story. The case design/ergonomics are critical factors that determine whether you can comfortably wear a watch of a certain size or not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts