The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The good:
- it runs and I can set the time and date.
- chrono buttons work
- crystal is almost scratch free
- bracelet is nice and sized for a big wrist (although it might be too nice to be original?)
- dial is clean and chapter ring looks good.
- it was very cheap

The bad:
- paint has fallen off the hands
- case is polished but still has its scratches and dings
- setting the date works, setting the day does not. (Yes it does, you only have toknow how, thanks efeo!)
- big chrono hand does not return to absolute zero
- small chrono hand always runs?

The ugly:

The seller never said anything about a cracked back. :( Is there any way to source a new one? The printing is long gone, so no need to keep it "original"...

It is in need of service, that much is clear. Any thoughts on the always running minute timer? Setting the day should be the same as settings the date, but in reverse direction, correct?

As it was so cheap, I almost feel bad asking the seller for a reduction in price...

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you efeo! Okay, setting the day works, but now I see the date has a flaky wheel :(

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Welcome to vintage watch collecting. This is all normal stuff. Day and date wheels won't always be perfect, etc.

It did not come with a see-through exhibition case back. That's an aftermarket or a Seiko 7S26 that has been sanitized. I have a case back like that myself, I took off the Seiko printing with turpentine thanks to advice gained right here on SCWF.

you can try to source an exact model replacement stainless steel back, find a cheap/free SS back tat belogs to another number model, or you can buy another exhibition back.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I am sure it's original - that's the "Time Sonar"'s signature piece, an exibition back.

I contacted the seller and he told me that it's "no problem to get a replacement plexi from STERNKREUZ or FLUME". Well, we'll see.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
These absolutely came with a transparent caseback. I would imagine it would be near impossible to find a replacement though. Other casebacks may fit..

Congrats on a hard to find model..

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well that is a great looking watch once upon a time...well worth taking the time to make it right...can't wait to see your progress

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These absolutely came with a transparent caseback. I would imagine it would be near impossible to find a replacement though. Other casebacks may fit..

Congrats on a hard to find model..
Thank you. The first problem I have with Sternkreuz or Flume: they don't sell b2c,only b2b. So I have to find a Watchmaker who'll order a (hopefully fitting) replacement. Which will not be smoked acrylic, of course.

Maybe I'll have to shelve her until I build up enough funds to have her serviced by someone who does vintage Seikos :undecided: A rare piece like that should not be messed with by amateurs. But as there are not a lot of them, there's also no ready supply of spare parts, so everything is going to cost me dearly...

BTW:
I got word from the seller, and he throws in an original bracelet for my Jumbo. With end links. Yay!
It looks quite like the one for the time sonar.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi Jon.
Congratulation for your new arrival (in january :))
I think that this Seiko reference is one of the most rare in absolute.:clap:
Regards.
Max.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Max :) Haven't done anything with it yet, sadly. I'm looking for a companion Time-Sonar with the brown or blue dial, though ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
This is one of those models I've never quite understood... what does 'Time Sonar' mean?

Good luck getting it fixed up, btw.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It refers to the see-through case back.

Although on the 7015 models you get a see-through dial, too. And that one also looks like a sonar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts