The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was a vey good day indeed and one that will live long in my memory. Been after one of these beauties for a long time and as many here will know it was the worlds first quartz saturation diving watch released in 1978.

Seiko wisely reissued it in 2018 to commemorate the 40th anniversary and having always liked the original I decided to buy this limited edition reissue at the time. This happened to be somewhat expensive at around £2000 but I took the plunge and haven't regretted it as its just lovely.

Even though it was a very faithful recreation of the original bar the depth rating increase and smooth bezel shroud I've found the "itch" for the SQ 600m hadn't gone away. Fortunately spotted one for sale though sellers pics weren't great so arranged a meet up to see it in person today and was blown away. He had bought it new in the 80's for his wife to dive in though they were both keen divers and did so all over the world. After giving up many years ago it was a familiar story, watch goes into a drawer and is forgotten about.
Thankfully for me he dug it out and sent it off to Seiko UK where it had a full strip down and service costing £245 last month. Shared a coffee with the owner today and he appeared a very knowledgeable about saturation diving ,clearance diving and decompression etc. Absolutely fascinating information but he did lose me a bit with it all.:)
Is was well worth meeting up as he was only 40 minutes away and I wasn't prepared to "take a punt" on some slightly dark and grainy pictures for a fairly big chunk of change.

Anyhow enough waffle, on with the pics.

Surprised how long the original strap was. Not sure if it's the standard length or an optional strap to go over a wetsuit. Not only was it too long to wear it was also pretty stiff and uncomfortable and didn't want it to fail so decided to change it.

Here pictured with the 1978 reissue.

And more shots comparing the old and new model. I do like the newer model a lot but less so the shorter second hand and hadn't realised Seiko had changed this until today. Will certainly be keeping both though even though they're pretty similar.

A range of pics and I'm really pleased with the condition and it exceeded expectations when I saw it.

Swopped strap to an Uncle Seiko GL831 with the original buckle which is nice and short, super comfy and has the correct vintage look.:)

Thanks for looking and let's see those Golden Tunas guys.
Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Mine came with a very long strap as well. I replaced it with a modern z22. Its one of my favorite watches and the SQ dial variant is the nicer version imo. Enjoy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks that's really interesting to know and I'm guessing at that time the people that bought these watches were divers and were used for the purpose intended so the vey long strap was required.

I know I've only had it a few hours but it's wonderful and I know what you mean about the SQ dial, it just works and the balance is perfect.

I certainly will enjoy it thank you and let see some pics of others out there if possible as I'd love to see what you've got guys.:)

Cheers
Neil

·
Special Member
4,436 Posts
Congratulations !
The colors emitted by light reflections off the hands is something to behold. I have the jdm version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a beauty and thanks for sharing.

I know what you mean about the reflections on the hands, it’s just lovely and I’ve heard reference to it being like “oil on water”.

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great pair! That original looks in amazing condition, too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lovely catch and fascinating story! It's super feeling to talk to those who were lucky enough to buy the vintage watches we love brand new!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great watch Neil! It’s amazing also that the passion for watches brings people closer even through a simple coffee and share thoughts, memories, experiences...

A gold tuna from the past will be on my radar! Would team up with my divers triplet nicely!

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Neil Sir That’s an Awesome Catch And Has the Gold I Love On a Watch👏👏👏⌚
I’ve had a Few Golden Tunas Pass through my hands over the years and They have always been Superb Watches.Many Regrets Moving Them On But Needed the £££ More at the Time😢
Great Catch Neil well Done it’s a Keeper👍⌚

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Congratulations Neil. Your 7549 really looks fantastic and many thanks for comparing it to the reissue sbbn040. My 7549 also came on a xl strap (zlm09 iirc). It just got a new battery and crystal and will be back soon...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well done. Very jealous. My grail which I am still looking for. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great pair! That original looks in amazing condition, too.
Thank you so much, a lucky find and been on my list for an age.

Lovely catch and fascinating story! It's super feeling to talk to those who were lucky enough to buy the vintage watches we love brand new!
Yeah it was great and the first time I’ve ever met up with a seller to inspect first hand and it was a pleasure and I was buzzing afterwards.

Great watch Neil! It’s amazing also that the passion for watches brings people closer even through a simple coffee and share thoughts, memories, experiences...

A gold tuna from the past will be on my radar! Would team up with my divers triplet nicely!

To be honest the guy was a real gent but really had little interest in the watch other than as a dive tool that gave perfect service. He found it fascinating that such items are sought after now.

Neil Sir That’s an Awesome Catch And Has the Gold I Love On a Watch⌚
I’ve had a Few Golden Tunas Pass through my hands over the years and They have always been Superb Watches.Many Regrets Moving Them On But Needed the £££ More at the Time
Great Catch Neil well Done it’s a Keeper⌚
Thank you Neil and yes this really is a keeper! I too have regrets of past sales, the biggest probably been letting go a mint 600m Ashtray with SQ dial and gold coloured text and hands. A quirky looking watch in some ways but definitely missed by me and pretty rare to find one these days.

Congratulations Neil. Your 7549 really looks fantastic and many thanks for comparing it to the reissue sbbn040. My 7549 also came on a xl strap (zlm09 iirc). It just got a new battery and crystal and will be back soon...

The wait will soon be over Mario and I was pleased to know Seiko still service these and did a fine job by the look of things.

Well done. Very jealous. My grail which I am still looking for. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks but they’re out there, keep looking. The thrill of the chase and all that.

A favourite model of mine, some beauties on show above.
Thanks John, your looks good with the silver shroud, not seen that mod before.

It really does Alan, I am now heading off back to the shed for a cry !! :)
There a NOS bezel on eBay now John for a “mere” £600 :)

If I’m correct you have to change the whole bezel and can’t just replace an insert on these.

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
911 Posts
Just bought mine, while not an SQ version, it still looks to be in great shape dated 1985. Only thing that seems strange is that is has a 7009 reference with a JDM dial. Hard to tell if it was swapped at some point or Seiko sold a few JDM with the 7009 prefix at a later point in time.

Also would like to share my Seiko SSBS018 which was the improved 1000m rated reissue of the OG golden Tuna with a 7c46 movement and a completely ceramic shroud this time. [

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just bought mine, while not an SQ version, it still looks to be in great shape dated 1985. Only thing that seems strange is that is has a 7009 reference with a JDM dial. Hard to tell if it was swapped at some point or Seiko sold a few JDM with the 7009 prefix at a later point in time.

Also would like to share my Seiko SSBS018 which was the improved 1000m rated reissue of the OG golden Tuna with a 7c46 movement and a completely ceramic shroud this time. [

I also have a couple of these 1000m Golden Tuna, the 7c46/7008 was purchased in Dubai.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

" 7549-7009 " It seems that those manufactured in 85 came out as 7009 and Dial JDM, for the Japanese market at least.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What a catch! great watch and amazing condition. Thanks for sharing and the comparison pics. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts